Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,421   Online: 940

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Didn't we do this just last week?

Seriously, let's not type all the same stuff out again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    I just ordered and received a silver magnet from them a couple months ago...
    they closed in february ... and they sold me all their overstock ...
    if you call their 800# they have a machine telling you to live chat on their website
    or send them an email ...
    from what i was told in february they might be open online just to sell off what they have

they were around since ww1 ... kind of sad they closed ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Didn't we do this just last week?

Seriously, let's not type all the same stuff out again.
    I'm quite sure so. Maybe there's enough in the archives by now to not have to do this again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Put some steel wool in the used fixer and let it sit for a while before you dump it. You would rather have it react with the wool than the drain pipes. Of course don't let the metallic remains go down the drain with the spent fixer. Someone told me to do this years ago, it seemed sensible.
    I confess I'm a gear nut within my price range. ;)
    Nikon FM2n, FG, FG20, N2000, Nikkormat, Olympus Stylus Epic
    Minox 35EL, Voigtlander Bessa-L
    Yashica-D TLR 6x6, Seagull TLR 6x6
    Agfa Isolette 6x6, Welmy 6x6
    Kodak Tourist 6x9 Anaston lens
    http://www.wendelstout.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    I just ordered and received a silver magnet from them a couple months ago...
    I called them about a month ago and when I finally reached a live person, they said they no longer have the magnet.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I leave it at a recycling center about 500m from were I live.
    No charge and very convenient.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I managed a local KMart lab, I used to take mine in and pour into the silver reticulator they had fitted; no bother at all, as it is easy enough to do, plus they got the silver.

Since leaving, I now have a large 25L container, that gets filled with exhausted fixer and when full, my mechanic is happy to send it for disposal along with his waste.

I'd love to get a silver magnet actually, just never done enough research to choose a suitable model. . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I drink mine!

Jeff
    Has anyone thought of adding a bit of sugar and putting it in a hummingbirdfeeder?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I'll go out on a limb and admit my ignorance. What is the main problem with dumping it down the drain? Exactly how toxic or hazardous is it? I've always treated it just like my spent developer and stop bath, not knowing any better. Of course, there is a lot less fixer to dispose of since I reuse it many times before disposing.

Recently I mixed up a 5 liter batch of Kodak fixer and used it for something like 4 months and 26 rolls of 120 film. I never used more than 500ml at a time and then just dumped it back into the 5 liter jug. I was amazed that it continued to work just fine. I only dumped it because I was leaving the U.S. to return to Japan. I guess there was probably a pretty good amount of silver in that jug by the time I was done.

So, how much do you get for the silver dust if you extract it? I suppose the first question is how many rolls do you have to develop to even pay for the silver magnet? Or is the primary reason for extracting silver environmental?
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK. I found the other thread and read thru a few pages of it. Now I have a slightly better idea what we're talking about and certainly don't want to stir another hornet's nest...
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin