Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,477   Online: 1098

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of it is environmental madness. A small portion is common sense. Unfortunately that particular portion does not even enter into it. It's the gobbledegook they're filling up schoolchildren's heads with. Turns them into militants. Do what you think is right. If you think you are actually generating some big-time poison, then dispense with it appropriately. A gallon of fixer down the drain every year is less in the scheme of things is less than peeing in your swim trunks in the ocean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi revdocjim

there can be upto 1/4 oz of silver in a gallon of spent fixer.
    its mainly the silver in the fixer that isn't good to go down the drain.
    if you have metal pipes it may corrode them if done for a long enough time ...
    and the silver likes to kill off beneficial bacteria in home septic and municipal sewer systems.
    25+ years ago kodak used to say to just drain it because it posed no problems but they now
    say not to dump it down the drain and to remove the silver from it ...

don't worry about a hornet's nest HFT III likes to assume different user names
    and go on and on about politics ...
    in a previous thread he said spent fixer was harmless, but later he added
    he used it as a herbicide on his property.
    i hope he gets his well water tested

if you have any magnet questions &c feel free to PM me
    i sell them as well as other stuff to recover the silver in your fixer.
    im empty, good luck

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Home darkrooms have been around for many, many years, all over the world. Considering that, one might find plenty of cases of harm to sewage disposal and septic systems and the environment from home darkrooms, if it actually does happen. Does anyone know of any actual cases where harm to a sewer system or septic system has been attributed to photographic solutions being poured down a drain from a small, home darkroom? Or harm to the environment or groundwater?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    Home darkrooms have been around for many, many years, all over the world. Considering that, one might find plenty of cases of harm to sewage disposal and septic systems and the environment from home darkrooms, if it actually does happen. Does anyone know of any actual cases where harm to a sewer system or septic system has been attributed to photographic solutions being poured down a drain from a small, home darkroom? Or harm to the environment or groundwater?

actually i do know someone.
    they were in rehoboth mass. they ruined their septic system by dumping photochemials into it: it cost thousands to repair.
    before they set up their darkroom they had the whole system pumped and checked and their perk / leachfield checked everything was perfect.
    within a few years they were scewed...

and i also know someone else who was fined about $100,000.00 for not complying with local regulations.

the local laws are different no matter where you go. it is best to find out where you live what is right for your situation.
    ( me? i live in a place where the rules are very strict and i obey them. )
    the funnything is there are always people who claim all sorts of nonsense, especially on online fora.
    a bunch of years ago there was someone here on apug, who claimed she was a chemist &c, and then claimed
    that selenium toner was harmless ( even though the packaging suggests different ) because there
    are trace amounts of selenium in multi vitamins.

just watch dr house to realize there is selenium in brazil nuts too, but if you eat too many brazil nuts
    you will get sick with something that looks like cancer or radiation poisoning ... and the best cure for it
    is a tea made of the larvae from some sort of bug ....

that might work for selenium poising ...
    i don't think there is a larva you can flush down your drain to counteract the affects silver ( other than not dumping it ).

YMMV

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jnanian is an advertiser here, and a supporter. I have nothing to say against him. The topic is disposing of used fixer. Do what you think is right. I have no further comment.As I have seen, an advertiser can cancel your account.
    Last edited by HTF III; 04-27-2013 at 01:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jnanian, I will take your word for it but I would prefer to see some sort of case histories that are documented. I have never seen any in any of the photographic literature. Personally I have been pouring my chemistry down the drain for years and my county requires septic systems to be inspected every three years and I have had no problems (you'll have take my word on that). Of course, YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RPC

i wish i could give you the names but for privacy reasons i won't.

you are lucky your system can handle your situation ...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Overthinking...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Has anyone thought of adding a bit of sugar and putting it in a hummingbirdfeeder?
    You mean, not everyone does that? Seriously, though, I just dump mine in my neighbors garden
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I wonder how much silver was in that 5 liter jug of fixer that I recently threw out. I developed more than 25 rolls of 120 film in it!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin