Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,917   Posts: 1,521,920   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hasselblad MLU issues

I recently bought a Hasselblad 500C/M from a seller on eBay that unfortunately arrived with some issues mostly related to the shutter (for example the slow shutter speeds stick open at times, and sometimes the shutter won't open all the way, or at all on the high speeds). One of these issues is that sometimes (not every time though) the in-lens shutter stays open when I activate mirror lockup. Since the seller has agreed to reimburse me for the repair costs I was wondering if the mirror lockup issue relates to the mechanism in the body, or the actual shutter mechanism in the lens. Having to send in only the lens would probably be a bit cheaper, and from what I can tell all the other functions on the body seem to work fine.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just return it and get your money back. Why should you have all the hassle with repair?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If the lens is having trouble, the body could well be too. If I were you, I'd send both in. I suspect both lens and body have seen the same environment, and both have suffered.

Also, no point doing a CLA on a lens, only to find that the body mechanics are marginal and have issues.

Especially if you are not paying for the repair.

The beauty with Hasselblads is that they are very robust and relatively straight-forward to repair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by olwick View Post
    Just return it and get your money back. Why should you have all the hassle with repair?
    Mostly because I had to pay a fairly hefty import fee, which would be all for nought if I simply returned the camera.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    Mostly because I had to pay a fairly hefty import fee, which would be all for nought if I simply returned the camera.
    That's their problem. No good is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HTF III View Post
    That's their problem. No good is no good.
    But it's my money gone to waste...

However I took a look at the customs office's website and it seems like you can get a "refund" on your import fees if you return a product you've bought from outside the EU. Would it be a lot wiser to simply return it? I'll have to call the customs office tomorrow and ask how to apply for a refund as well of course.

Edit: Perhaps I should add: For those of you who have returned faulty items to eBay sellers, how have your experiences been? Does eBay have any official support for returning items?
    Last edited by Cybertrash; 04-24-2013 at 03:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    Sux you have to pay to import a Hasselblad INTO Sweden.

Anyway the mirror lockup (I think Hasselblad calls it mirror pre-release) is not related to the lens shutter at all. I don't know how the lens shutter is opening when you do a mirror pre release because there is no mechanical connection to even tell the lens you pre-released the mirror?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think the lens shutter is supposed to close when the mirror is pre released.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am sitting with my C/M in my lap and can confirm that the lens shutter closes when the mirror is pre-released.

It sounds like all your issues are relating to the lens itself. I've had similar issues with old lenses before---they stick and stop halfway, are slow to close, or stay stopped down after exposures---and a simple cleaning should be enough to fix all of these.

I have two of these bodies and for the longest time one did not work whatsoever. A shop wanted $250 to clean the thing, so I decided to just do it myself. It's actually really simple. BUT, and getting back to my point, the mirror lockup on this body has not worked for as long as I can remember and it has no impact on anything else, so I would bet the lens is the culprit here too.
    If the release, mirror, and curtains of the body all seem to be moving smoothly and cranking properly, don't worry about it and just get your lens fixed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would it be possible to borrow another 500 and switch lenses between the two to see if the problem follows the lens or the body?
    My money would be on the lens but you never know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin