Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,201   Posts: 1,531,529   Online: 1049

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Yet another Annoying Hasselblad 500cm Newbie - Shutter Questions and a few others.

Hi Guys,
    I'm sure you've answered a million of these, but I just can't find answers online.
    I purchased a nice clean 500cm from Adorama in NYC with a Zeiss Planar 80mm T* 2.8 Synchro Compur shutter and have 2 quick shutter questions:
    1) The longer speeds: is it true that you're supposed to hold the release button down longer to allow for the second curtain in the rear of the body to stay open long enough to take the proper exposure? I read this in the manual, but find it a little strange.
    2) Why are there two different sets of shutter speed numbers on the lens? The set of numbers in green don't seem to be accessible, but I'm surely doing something wrong.
    3) I'd like to find a lens hood and filter holder and maybe an extender. I think I have what is called a CT* lens, but I'm not sure. Do you guys know what size hood/filter holder and extender I would need?

THANK YOU so much for your input -- I really love this forum.
    Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you so much!! Fantastically helpful reply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Later lenses use a Bay (bayonet) 60 size. I'm not sure where the cut off is, but I also think the CT* is the 50. But measure the diameter of your lens filter mount, if it's approximately 60mm, you have the Bay 60. 50 or 60 are your only 2 possibilities, so we don't need precision here. If you measure the outside, you should get something a few MM greater than 50 or 60.

Regardless of Bay 50 or 60, +1 on the adapter. Though the original H'blad hoods are nice.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought "C" meant "leaf shutter".

Shooter
    35mm RF
    dont mean to hijack the thread but if the OP wants a filter adapter I have one I will give you since I sold Hassy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I thought "C" meant "leaf shutter".
    I thought "C" meant "Compur" but the CF has a Prontar so ….

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think it can also stand for "central shutter", as opposed to "F" for "focal plane shutter".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    I think it can also stand for "central shutter", as opposed to "F" for "focal plane shutter".
    Yes... central, between-the-lens, and/or leaf... but not Compur to the best of my recollection/knowledge and not related to the bayonet size. Maybe the meaning of C changed after the Compur-to-Prontor transition... IDK for sure. Anyway... this isn't really central to the discussion... more of a pedantic sidetrack.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Guys --
    Can you tell me what the Bay 50 to 52 step ring will allow me to use in terms of lens hoods, extenders, and filter holders? What size hood/extender/holder would I be able to get if I get the 52 adapter?
    thanks again --
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The adaptor ring will let you mount anything that has 52mm threads, hoods, filters, whatever.
    Actually, however, the 52 mm adaptor is slightly small, so you could get some vignetting if you stack filters. You might consider a bay 50 to 55 adaptor or perhaps even larger unless you already have an investment in 52mm stuff. Bay 50 to thread adaptors in various sizes are pretty common. The 52 will work though, and there are even bay 50 to 49mm adaptors.

As for the shutter, I find it easiest to just hold down the release for a second or so routinely. it doesn't particularly matter how long you hold the rear curtains open, and you are assured that you'll never cut off a longish exposure by releasing too soon. YMMV though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin