Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,047   Online: 770

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 500 c/m vs. RB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went with the Hasselblad, simply because the price of used ones were down where I could finally afford it. I got a 500c/m + A12 back + 80CF for less than I paid for my Nikon D70. And I would do it again.

That said, I had looked long and hard at the RB/RZ-67. I liked the larger negative and the rotating back. But it was heavier, and I needed to get my Hasselblad first. For me the Hasselblad is "good enough" for what I want. If I want a larger negative than 6x6, I would skip 6x7 and go to a 6x9 in MF or 4x5 in LF.

As for the square vs. rectangle format. For me that is a non-issue. The 6x6 negative is large enough to crop w/o noticable (to me) degradation in the image quality. Then any MF would have that effect, since I came up from 35mm, with its even smaller negative.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have both a 501cm and an rz67, love them both to death. But, if you can only afford one and you want versatility the choice is easy, go with the Hasselblad.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try one of the "budget" Rolleicords Jim w/ a Triotar lens. If you like sharper, try a somewhat more expensive one w/ a Xenar. $150 tops should get the latter, less for the former. They're light and very well made. My experience w/ 'blads is that they are nice studio cameras, relatively big and heavy, quirky, and not nearly as portable and fast to use as a 'cord. Bit noisy too, but wait till you try one of the old Bronicas w/ the Nikkor lenses. Ka Pow! If you must have interchangeable lenses, then this wouldn't work of course.The TLR's shutter are essentially noiseless. My Triotar is just fantastic for portraits, as it has a real sharp center and very nice bokeh. I had no idea the Rolleicords were so welll made and took such fine photos. Much simpler cameras than the Rolleiflex models. Heck, try an Autocord for small money too. Bigger and heavier than the "cord, but what a lens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TLRs are great but I assume Jim is interested in interchangeable lenses, and maybe backs as well. Of course there are the Mamiya interchangeable lens TLRs but they're quite a bit larger and heavier than the fixed lens TLRs, and still don't have interchangeable backs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am currently using a Mat-124G which I enjoy. Pretty small and self-contained, which I like, and very quiet. The thing that has me asking are the insanely low used prices for the RB (they must have made a gazillion of them.) From past experience I know that I like the 6x7 format very much. OTOH from my 35mm work I simply ADORE the color rendition from Zeiss glass. It seems to me of late that one pays a premium for C-series Mamiyas as well as the Universal and Graflex-XL.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would personally prefer the 500 c/m. Nothing beats the blad. Enough said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but my issue is close to being on topic in a way. I have a Mamiya 7 rangefinder, a 6x7 format, and a Hasselblad for more flexibility (close focusing particularly). The RZ/RB's are just too dam big.

I LOVE the 6x7 ratio and want to mark the Hass focusing screen for that ratio to crop at the time of composition. Any suggestions on exactly how to do that? I've had a hard time finding methods that seemed practical. Seems like there should be an easy solution, but have not found it. Any suggestions from you experts?
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you use a screen with the grid on it, the first lines from the top and bottom or left and right show you the 645 image area. See parts 3042217 or 3042260 on this page; http://www.hasselbladusa.com/product...cessories.aspx

I've heard of people drawing lines on the mat side with a sharp pencil, but I prefer the grid screens anyway, so for me, that's the easy solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasslblad is a great camera, but I love my RB67.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been shooting my RB67 for the better part of 5 years now. I too love the 6x7 and never had an attachment to square format. Although heavy, I think the RB glass is great (I have the 50, 90 and 180)and the camera itself is very well built. I do cringe when I have to lug that and the prism finder around though, that sucker is pushing 7 lbs or so at that point.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin