Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,094   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lens front element cleaning..

Beeing a new member i´m not too familiar with the search function. I tried but came up short handed so here it goes..

Having used Kodak´s lens cleaning paper as well as Kodak´s lens cleaning fluid for the last 20+ years as a proffesional photographer it appears that my Kodak lens cleaning paper stock is running out. Sooo...how do i clean my front element of my beautiful Hasselblad lenses without these brilliant products? Any advice and comment is appreciated for sure!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Genuine Q-tip brand with the white paper sticks. Hasn't scratched yet. And plain distilled water, unless it is a greasy smudge where something stronger like a little dilute Windex or somesuch.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One approach. Remember, telescope people are fanatical about cleaning. There are models of telescopes where having never cleaned the lens is part of a sales listing since any cleaning risks scratches or marks that can reduce sharpness or brightness when your eyes and light are at the far limits. Anyway-

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=103

Oh, acetone and camera lenses are a big no-no. It will dissolve paints, plastics, all sorts of ulginess. Again, astronomy equipment is often constructed differently than camera optics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks a lot for the comments so far! Dan, that was some interesting reading for sure although probably not so practical in a photographic situation as field cleaning is a part of the game.
    None the less very useful knowledge and thanks a bunch for the link!

---

Isnt there anyone out there who offers a complete solution like Kodak used to do?

---

Not sure if i´m able to get a hold of the genuine Q tip in my neck of the woods. Most alternative i have seen has been som cheap plastic knock off. Alcohol is mentioned, what kind and isnt this too strong for the lens coating?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The reason I said genuine Q tip is because they are known pure cotton with no synthetic, and since all the fibers are attached to the stick, it is very lint-free. As for some weak Windex for fingerprints, distilled water alone does well. You'll know. If the distilled water doesn't seem to be cutting the grease, go to the weak Windex. I've taken apart and cleaned a good many lenses, including Hasselblad, and you couldn't pay me a nickel to change. Never scratched yet, as long as you brush away grit before you start cleaning. Always blow and brush grit away before cleaning. One teeny piece of grit is a sand-basting gun to the lens. May as well use sandpaper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually, I use the highest proof isopropyl alcohol I can find. The higher the proof, the easier it evaporates. My last job was in a building with around 20 ophthalmic research labs, and they had 200 proof alcohol available to them!

I use Q-tips also, but I would imagine off-brand ones would work fine--if they are the kind with wood or hard plastic sticks, just be careful not to let the hard stick touch the glass.

Q-tips usually leave lint behind so I usually need to blow or wipe the lint off with a microfiber cloth after the Q-tip.

I guess I should mention I'm a Nikon user, but I imagine the Zeiss coatings are just as durable.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Cotton ball sprayed with ROR, apply to lens. Use a dry cotton ball to dry the moistened lens. Rocket Blower and/or Staticmaster brush to remove any stray cotton fibers. Always wear latex gloves to not transfer oils to the cotton>lens.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    any glasses shop sells lens cleaning fluid -- and usually has some sort of tissue -- if not any piece of clean much-washed lint free cotton cloth will do fine. To be brutally honest, i clean my leica lenses with windex on a tissue and call it good. wipe very gently, no scratches yet.

microfiber clothes are also very good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Giotto's lens cleaner and cotton balls clean up everything, incl. multi-coat lenses & filters, in a absolutely spotless jiffy.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Any time I use ROR I seem to end up with a bunch of residue left over. Granted, the ROR clears off some debris faster than anything else but I end up having to do a another pass to get the ROR off. Sometimes a bit of water works, other times I've used Ronsonal or isopropyl alcohol.

Does anyone else have issues with ROR? Or maybe I'm just using it wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin