Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,006   Online: 858

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Lubitel, Kiev ... :-o

Hi,

A sometimes enthusiast for 120 film. I have a veteran Kiev 60 which has gorgeous lenses except for the default 80mm which had fungus and is consequently history - I miss that lens, hard to find a decent replacement.

Recently I bought a second hand Lubitel 166 Universal - I bought it for indoor 'candid camera' shots with 3200 film, since you can use the waist viewer to frame public gatherings without eye-to-eye scenarios if you don't want that, and without a flash in some light conditions. But first I tried some outdoor shots with FP4 to get used to the camera. I am really impressed, it's not easy focusing with the Lubitel if you wear varifocals as I do, but it's obviously possible to do so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sthampton1bampw_zpse345e901.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	68015

Name:	sthampton2_bampw_zpsb4f41d8a.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	68016

Of course a hand-held light meter is de rigueur but I like that - otherwise I would never have learned how to use one!

Thanks,

Ric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This was my very first medium format camera back in the early 90's. Got it new for $35. It's lens was an excellent performer though the build quality was awful and eventually the front focusing mechanism literally screwed right off as I was focusing for a shot. Could never get it back into proper alignment after that so I trashed it.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have always wanted one of these. I have a strong affection for TLRs and yet strangely have never owned one despite the fact that it seems to be beloved by a great many photographers and isn't exactly expensive to purchase.

One of these days I'll have to pick one up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks: am delighted with the results so far - was sure I'd mess up on the focus but its ok. There is something magical about using a waist viewer, I hope it doesn't wear off too quickly. For the Kiev I am limited to a 120mm lens or a wide angle, since I no longer have the 80mm option, so I relied on the wide angle option for up-close subjects. The Kiev is a lovely camera but again you need an independent light meter.

Name:	chrstchurchroad_zps8cbab446.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	68017

Name:	pokesdownshopwindow_zps78ce09b7.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	68018

R

Shooter
    35mm
    This was my first medium format camera as well. Think I paid $45 for it new from Freestyle. Tricky to focus but always took great images.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys Am looking forward to taking the Lubitel out for a 3200 shoot. 120 negatives are a wow, so detailed! I dream about a view camera one of these days but the Lubitel and Kiev are great [thumbs up!]

Ric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My advice is to ditch the Lubitel and get a proper medium format camera. Bronica ETRSIs with speed grips and prism finders can be had for less than $300. You will be far more productive and have far more keepers. I am not sure what people saw when looking at prints of their Lubitel 166 Universal negatives but for me it was so low resolution I was better off just shooting 35mm fine grain film. For me photography is about images. Taking extraneous extra steps to get the images gets in the way of the experience. And there is no way I am going to go through the expense and PIA of a Lubitel 166 just to get less grain than 35mm film. I soup TMAX 100 in XTOL so you know I'm not a big fan of grain, but less grain is not the only goal in photography. It is only one factor in a constellation of factors.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    the ... goal in photography ... is only one factor in a constellation of factors.
    Thanks Noble; indeed that is so. The Lubitel is for a specific project which may not work out in the end. But if it does I could well be looking to upgrade

Bests!

Ric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    My advice is to ditch the Lubitel and get a proper medium format camera. Bronica ETRSIs with speed grips and prism finders can be had for less than $300. You will be far more productive and have far more keepers. I am not sure what people saw when looking at prints of their Lubitel 166 Universal negatives but for me it was so low resolution I was better off just shooting 35mm fine grain film. For me photography is about images. Taking extraneous extra steps to get the images gets in the way of the experience. And there is no way I am going to go through the expense and PIA of a Lubitel 166 just to get less grain than 35mm film. I soup TMAX 100 in XTOL so you know I'm not a big fan of grain, but less grain is not the only goal in photography. It is only one factor in a constellation of factors.
    You had a bad one. I worked at a pro lab when I had mine. Many of the photo techs were blown away by the quality I was getting from my Lubitel.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    <3 the Lubitel, it is feather light compared to my analogue SLRs, compact, and takes groovy pictures

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin