Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,163   Online: 797

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had an ongoing love affair with TLR's since the late 60's, for me 6x6 is the format of choice. I started with 127 then 35mm in the early 60's, then got my first Yashica D, the rest is history. These days I shoot mainly 4x5 and 6x6, very little 35mm. TLR of choice now is a couple of Mamiyas, a C-330 and C-220 with a selection of lenses.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Come to think about it, the only reason I would shoot 35mm is the ease of mounting and projecting slides, that just means I need to invest in a 6x6 projector and start mounting. I was thinking about getting an adaptor so I can use all my hasselblad lenses on a Nikon so I can shooting 35mm slides.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just missed 4X5 out of the equation and just shoot 35mm and 6X6 because I thank the quality you can get with modern M/F films and cameras are more than adequate for my requirements and almost as good as 5x4 without the inconvenience of using cut film, and having a crowd of onlookers around you every time you set the camera up a tripod.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Hello all,

I have a bit of a conundrum lately-

Mainly about gear. I find myself shooting around 3 formats for a shoot, which works for me. Last shoot it was 4x5, Digital, and some polaroids. But I have so much stuff I want to try making images with, and I can't use it all at once. I've been thinking of really considering unloading some, or at least clearly defining it's strengths.

However, I have a hard time finding a place for Medium format. I love it, I love shooting it, but I don't shoot it as often as I should.

I have a plethora of equipment by many standards. My camera of choice lately has been my Graflex Super D 4x5 SLR. I can shoot it handheld, and the images it makes are beautiful. And when I need something faster, or more agile, I can use my Nikon F or F6.

I really want to fall in love with my Hasselblad Kit, but apart from travel where the 4x5 would be impractical, i'm not sure where medium format fits in. I don't do a whole lot of travel, so I don't really use my MF kit... I have a Yashica Mat, which is by far, hands down, my favorite camera for IR photography due to separate taking and viewing lenses, but for portraiture i'd rather have the 500CM and my 80 or 150.

Am I missing something? MF is great if you can't shoot LF on the fly, but is there a point of a system that is slower than 35mm to use, and less IQ than LF, without much advantage in speed of use? The only advantage I can think of is size of negative compared to size of camera, or the amount of images easially carried preloaded, in which case the Hasselblad wins for both size and daylight-loadable film. but for low light, 35mm wins, and for high quality (or in my case, I love the way optics of larger formats look), LF wins.

Are there people out there who can successfully shoot 35mm up to 8x10 as I do, without feeling burdened by too much gear cluttering the process?
    Yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a few criteria for keeping a camera -> Do I have fun using it, is it intuitive, and is it reliable?

Everything else does not matter to me. Hasselblad 500 and Leica/Pentax 35mm stuff is all I need. But I confess to being mighty tempted to purchase a Rolleiflex, mainly for its portability for vacation shots.

Also, I find that the more gear I have the more difficult it is to learn how to use all of it intuitively, to the point that the camera isn't a consideration in my thought process when I shoot.
    The Pentax KX and the Leica M2 all sort of 'disappear' from the chain of events as I shoot, and it's utterly wonderful to not have to think about the camera. It's just sort of automatic and I can focus all of my attention on the picture itself.

Good luck in your choices. But don't make a big deal out of it. Just enjoy, have fun, and let the good pictures come to you.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend not to use 35mm because I find the cameras are harder to use - I wear glasses and the 35mm finders are more difficult to accommodate. About the only areas 35mm still scores over larger formats for me is in macro, long lens work, and remote control, none of which I do very much, if at all.

The 5x4 kit is chosen for the quality of the format, the anticipated need for movements, and possibly no portability issues.

MF gets the general walking around nod, it is a good travel tool. My MF equipment is TLR and rangefinder.

I suppose if I lost everything and had to start over with one camera, it would be a MF rangefinder (6x4.5 or 6x6) or a TLR. I could get a lot done with that. I'm happy to take the constraints of the equipment and work within it.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My favorite thing about medium format, in my case an RB67, is composing with that big screen & waist level finder.

Yeah my F5 can do the waist level thing but it ain't the same and I could get finder for my Toyo 45 but using it down real low would be problematic.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Yes.
    What I'm dreaming of is a 'set' of adapters which allow me to use my Contax G / Nikon / RZ / ERKO 9x12 / Lubitel / Praktica and Ricoh lenses on every camera I feel fit a some chosen time I want to make an image. So for now; I have to think ahead !

ps
    bought yesterday a ANSCO, Agfa Iso-Rapid and Adox Prontor 500LK for E 13,00 I would like to include those too...

Shooter
    Large Format
    I gave up 35mm after shooting MF with my RZ. Will I ever go back to 35mm? Probably not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I gave up 35mm after shooting MF with my RZ. Will I ever go back to 35mm? Probably not.
    Funny. For me it's the exact opposite. 35mm looks better to my eye the more I use it, and medium format is the camera I could spare if I had to.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin