Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,611   Online: 705

Thread: Help please

Shooter
    Medium Format

Help please

I am planing to buy a zeiss ikoflex IIa with a Tessar 1:3,5 f = 75 mm lens. Is it a good camera and how much would be wise to pay for it. There's also a Yashica D with Yashikor 1:3,5 f=80 mm lens for sale. Would it be a better choise. Thanks for the advices.

Shooter
    35mm

Classic vs more modern

The Ikoflex made by Zeiss is much more of an old classic camera. I do not know if any were made with coated lenses. Are the lenses colored? All I can really judge is that they are long off the market..I do not know its reliability or value. I believe that an enthusiast would enjoy owning an old camera such as this but depending upon it to give good service or in finding repair parts I can only state "lots of luck to you". The Yashica would be of more modern vintage but I would guess it to be at least 25+ years old. Most likely it will give good photos and service. If it needs repair parts it too will be a problem and perhaps not economically feasible to repair. If you can possibly swing it, I would advise getting A Rolleiflex. They are classy, dependable, highly competent picture taking machines that are very highly evolved. Parts can be found and I have seen the prices continuing to rise...never decline...over 40+ years. They can be very economically feasible to repair.

If you cannot afford a Rolleiflex that is in good shape made from 1960-2005
    and the photos are what are important to you, get a Yashica...Minolta Autocord is also a very nice camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the reply. How about the Yashicamat 124-G. How good are the lenses of the 124-G if compared to early rolleis. I could get one for under 100€ in mint condition. Would it be worth of extra money if compared to the Yashica D.

Images
    My local classic camera guru, who has bought and sold cameras for years, steered me away from the Ikoflex. In his opinion, they were more prone to failure than their Japanese counterparts, and his advice has always worked out well for me. He sold me a 124G which had recently been CLA'd, and it's been a joy to use ever since. I also have, and prefer, a Minolta Autocord, mostly because the ergonomics suit me better.

The Yashica D is OK, but the Yashikor lens is not as good as the Tessar-type Yashinon lens found on the 124.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Ikoflex should be fine. However, all of these probably will need to be serviced.

Given proper care, the camera should provide adequate service. If you're looking to save a bit of money, you should investigate a Rolleicord. Same Rollei quality in a less-expensive body.

As with all of these cameras, the overall condition of the camera is the most important factor. That is, make sure the camera hasn't been knocked around.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Yashicas have served me well for several years. High quality lens in a rugged body with a copal shutter. Never had one fail, but then I treat my cameras as delicate instruments.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for everyone. I ended up buying this from the ebay: Picture. Seems to be in realy good condition. Can't wait to get my hands on it because this is my first mf camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kinda hard to tell for sure from the picture, but the rear door seals look a little gooey to me. No big deal if they are as it's an easy fix. Check out the seller "interslice" on ebay, he sells great foam kits that'll fix it right up.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks like a very clean piece of equipment. Congratulations!
    When you get the camera in your hands sacrifice a roll of film to practice loading it. Perhaps a local camera shop may have some out of date film cheap.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin