Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,959   Online: 876

Shooter
    Multi Format

probably a daft question,but...

...I've seen an advert for a TLR with lens.
    In the ad,it states that there is some dust in the lens.
    How much is it likely to affect the image quality,and is it likely to be expensive to cure?
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    dust in the lens is rarely, if ever a problem, unless it is big dust balls, which will reduce contrast, but I have a few different lenese that have got dust in them over the years and has never cause a problem..but it is a very good negotiation point

I purchase a 300mm f/2.8 a couple of years ago and got a real good deal because of a 2mm scratch on the outside edge of the front element and it has been a great lens with no ill effects because of the scratch

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A TLR with lens is much better than a TLR without a lens.

As Dave said, it's relatively unlikely the dust would be much of a problem (unless there's also a kitten in there, chasing the dustball), even though you'd want to make a big deal of it as a buyer. In fact, you might discover it's actually on the rear element, and easily cleaned when the camera is opened.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree. My 203 Ektar for 5x4 has bits of dust and is pin sharp and totally resists flare.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks for the info

In fact,if the dust DOES reduce the contrast,that will be easy to correct as I never print harder than grade 3 anyway-so I have an absolutely PRISTINE grade 5 filter!
    Besides which,some faults can be artistic-which would explain the popularity of certain Russian cameras!

I'll have to check if the camera is still available.
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin