Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,471   Online: 946

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Fault Finding lines on negs - bronica SQAi

Greetings,

I have had a bit of an intermittent issue with my Bronica SQAi where I have been getting some lines on my negatives.

Initially, I thought it was scratches, but I am not sure. The lines are dark on the negative, where's if they were scratches, they would be clear. (obviously, they print as white on paper). The other thing is they tend to not be in the same place, but appear to be similar shape.

Below is one specific example, scanned in as negatives, accompanied with a zoom into the spot.

Anyone got any clues?

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MarkedNegfullScan-130504-0004.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	68269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MarkedNegfullZoom-130504-0004.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	68270

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it's in the direction the film moves (unless you've been holding the camera sideways! ) and the back, non-emulsion side should be protected by the backing paper (unless you had some 220 sandbagged). There are two very small rollers on the back portion, one above and one below the film gate. They are pushed toward the film by little leaf springs at the end. My guess would be one of those has some bits of ?? on it, or maybe for some reason isn't turning -- or there is a loose piece of grit wobbling around that area.

I think scratches can appear lighter or darker, depending on how deep and even the shape of the groove.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, man. That's really ugly. Good luck figuring it out.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Well, it's in the direction the film moves (unless you've been holding the camera sideways! ) and the back, non-emulsion side should be protected by the backing paper (unless you had some 220 sandbagged). There are two very small rollers on the back portion, one above and one below the film gate. They are pushed toward the film by little leaf springs at the end. My guess would be one of those has some bits of ?? on it, or maybe for some reason isn't turning -- or there is a loose piece of grit wobbling around that area.

I think scratches can appear lighter or darker, depending on how deep and even the shape of the groove.
    That's what I was originally thinking, but don't those rollers go down the middle of the film? Also, wouldn't they roll (& rub if they weren't turning) against the backing paper?

It also doesn't effect each and every frame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you developing the film yourself, or is it sent out and going through a roller transport film processor?

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK, it has happened with C-41 film (kodak more then likely, about 12 months ago), HP5 back then and with Fp4+ on this occasion. I would tend to suggest that its not the film.

The C-41 was processed by a lab, but the Fp4 was processed by me on a reel.

I will use the camera again tomorrow (there is a film still in it) and see what happens. Interesting to note that it tends to happen towards the end of the roll. I think that if people think that its scratches, there must be something in the gate that is slightly touching the bigger the roll gets on the take up spool.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The marks have all the characteristics of being scratches - Are they on the emulsion side ?

If they appear on the back of the film, then processing/handling are the most likely source.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm speaking of the rollers pointed to here (and in fact this unused for several years example might could use some attention!) And indeed, this would only apply if the scratches are on the emulsion side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150006673.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	68284

It looks as though the rollers span the entire width of the film. I suppose they are to reduce any effects of reverse curl coming off the big rollers to help keep things against the pressure plate. At any rate, they appear to be one of the only things (other than light!) that may contact the emulsion in-camera.

(Durn, something else on my do list!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those rollers do look like they need some attention. Perhaps they do not roll as easily when there is less pressure on them (nearing the end of the roll).
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I also was thinking that those rollers look rather cruddy. You might want to try a little bit of rubbing alcohol (or lighter fluid) on a cloth to clean them. Maybe it picked up a tiny piece of debris, which is causing the scratch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin