Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,235   Online: 717

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love working in the darkroom and find it incredibly therapeutic.

But just as I'm not cut out to be a wedding photographer running around dealing with strangers all day, some people aren't happy to be left alone in a quiet red glow, waiting patiently as white pages turn into (sometimes) spectacular images. I feel like the only person on the planet when I lock myself up in the darkroom. I forget about everything else and just take my time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    just had a six hours darkroom session this morning, celebrating a day off
    mine is just a shed outside the house with a metal roof, so it gets h-o-t quite early in our local mediterranean summer... that didn't keep me from having a great time! i love my little cave!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    just had a six hours darkroom session this morning, celebrating a day off

Sounds wonderful!!!

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love mine, I'm actually thinking about installing black curtains and other light-blocking material for the kitchen too, so that I can use the kitchen as an extension.

If I'll ever have to live in a single room with minimal space for any reason, however small it would be, I would convert it to a permanent darkroom. It's possible to work around the water or temperature problems if one is willing to. Convenience in a darkroom is like coverage for LF lenses: it's good to have plenty of it, but in reality just barely enough is good enough for a good number of tasks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just finishing the job of building my first dedicated darkroom, befor this it was alway make shift.
    I now have 200 square feet of space, that is light tight and can be used anytime of the day.
    First run of prints scheduled for May 15th.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If it wasn't for it, I might make news headlines someday! Working IT really makes appreciate anything that requires taking your time and quiet. It has dramatically made me respect the darkroom a lot more.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My stinky, smelly, too small, and often too cold little darkroom is one of the best things of my life. I love it in there, warts and all!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a very basic darkroom with no running water and love it. Its magic watching the paper in the developer, my favorite part of the experience.. Just received a new bottle of Ilford fixer, a roll of Tmax 120 and a roll of Tmax 35mm ready, develop tonight and print in the morning.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm waiting for my prints to wash. Today was a daycare-day so I spent most of it printing. It's been so long since I did 11x14, too. Such a cool feeling when you lift out your first try at a new image and it looks right.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a darkroom in a wooden shed. It doesn't have running water, but I can work around that. It looks a mess with the lights on, but takes on a beautiful, calm glow with lights out and safelight on. I use a Nova, but all this talk of seeing images magically appear has made me think about getting the trays out again. I deal with other people's problems at work every day, so my darkroom is a welcome retreat in the evenings. I don't know what I would do without it. Thanks, Todd, for encouraging everyone to share their love of the darkroom! Alex.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin