Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,555   Online: 1339

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fuji GF670 focus issue

(Also posted in rangefinder forum)

I recently got a barely-used GF670 (bought new in January). I love it, but it may have a focus issue. Here's the story:

To check the rangefinder's accuracy, I focused on a single point from multiple distances, starting about 12 meters away and working my way to about 1 meter. I aligned the rangefinder image as carefully as possible each time, of course. Shot everything at f/3.5. Well, the first half of the shots are a bit soft where I focused and sharp about 3-4 meters behind; very disappointing. But the second half are sharp where I focused. Is it possible that the rangefinder could be accurate at close distances but off at farther distances? Or, if it's accurate at any distances, is it necessarily accurate at all distances? I'm not sure if I missed focus, or if there's a problem.

After seeing those first test results, I shot the same test again, at f/4. Focusing very carefully again. And -- same results. Which makes me think there's an issue with the camera.

If that's the case, is this a repair any decent repair place can do? (I live in L.A.) Or does it need to go to fuji?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    rangefinders are normally set for near and far in a two-step process, but they differ. I'd consult a repairman...rangefinder adjustment should be something a local properly trained repair person can do, but fuji would obviously be best because it's their product.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would get that looked at right away. I bought mine used as well but haven't had any trouble with the focus. It's far too nice of a camera to not get it fixed!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by epines View Post
    (Also posted in rangefinder forum)

I recently got a barely-used GF670 (bought new in January). I love it, but it may have a focus issue. Here's the story:

To check the rangefinder's accuracy, I focused on a single point from multiple distances, starting about 12 meters away and working my way to about 1 meter. I aligned the rangefinder image as carefully as possible each time, of course. Shot everything at f/3.5. Well, the first half of the shots are a bit soft where I focused and sharp about 3-4 meters behind; very disappointing. But the second half are sharp where I focused. Is it possible that the rangefinder could be accurate at close distances but off at farther distances? Or, if it's accurate at any distances, is it necessarily accurate at all distances? I'm not sure if I missed focus, or if there's a problem.

After seeing those first test results, I shot the same test again, at f/4. Focusing very carefully again. And -- same results. Which makes me think there's an issue with the camera.

If that's the case, is this a repair any decent repair place can do? (I live in L.A.) Or does it need to go to fuji?
    Did you buy it refurbished on ebay by chance?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    point the camera at something easy to focus on, get a piece of ground glass (or plexi glass with scotch magic tape on the lens side), open the back of the camera, place it over the film plane, check it with a loupe against your rangefinder. I'd do that before sending it out.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No -- bought it from a guy who had put one roll through it. I have his B&H receipt from jan 2013.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    @revdocjim: agreed. It's a great camera.

@wildbill: I thought about something like that; just not sure if I have a small piece of ground glass I can position in there. I'll give it a try.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin