Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,995   Online: 820
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,787
    Images
    36

    Will Fuji GF670W prices ever come down??

    I'd love to pick up a GF670W. Looks like a gorgeous camera. But the price of $2800 or higher makes that a pure fantasty. I have seen many of these cameras in the store here, some priced over $3,000. These cameras have sat in the stores for YEARS.

    I dont think Fuji is selling many at all of these cameras at such a crazy high price. What is up with that price anyway? The GSW690 was $1500 or so wasn't it? Even with inflation the price should not double. A built in meter doesnt add $1000 in cost! Clearly the GF670W is based off the body of the GF670 folder. The lens is just screwed right onto the same body. It really should not be so expensive.

    I guess it just wont happen, but I still would love to get a GF670W.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tokyo
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    344
    That price is too high. I'm surprised given that China usually has good prices on digital cameras and lenses. Here in Tokyo the GF670W costs about 210,000 yen, which is $2,100.
    I bought my GF670 (not the W) used for about $1200. I had to sell several other cameras including a complete RB67 Pro SD kit with lots of lenses and a Wista 4x5 kit to come up with that kind of money but have never regretted it for a moment.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I'd love to pick up a GF670W. Looks like a gorgeous camera. But the price of $2800 or higher makes that a pure fantasty. I have seen many of these cameras in the store here, some priced over $3,000. These cameras have sat in the stores for YEARS.

    I dont think Fuji is selling many at all of these cameras at such a crazy high price. What is up with that price anyway? The GSW690 was $1500 or so wasn't it? Even with inflation the price should not double. A built in meter doesnt add $1000 in cost! Clearly the GF670W is based off the body of the GF670 folder. The lens is just screwed right onto the same body. It really should not be so expensive.

    I guess it just wont happen, but I still would love to get a GF670W.
    Apparently, according to: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/, $1500 in 1980 (when the GSW690 was released) is about $4200 now. Bear in mind that in 1980, the average price of a new car was a bit over $7000.

    If the GF670W sits on the shelves a while (which it does seem to), then it's maybe more than the market wants to pay, but it is a lot cheaper than the equivalent was in the 70s, 80s, 90s etc.

    I think the issue is more attitudes towards buying equipment these days. A few decades ago, we bought things to last us 5 or 10 years, now it's scarcely a year and we're looking to sell them. Makes things seem more expensive if you're not keeping it very long.

  4. #4
    Pioneer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Elko, Nevada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    969
    Images
    4
    We have also gotten accustomed to the camera industry releasing their cameras with absurdly high prices in the beginning, and then dropping to more reasonable prices as time goes on. The Fuji hasn't followed that pattern, and there probably is no intention to do it. The Fuji GF670 prices have stayed pretty constant, even on the used market. I seriously doubt that Fuji needs to sell tons of these cameras to stay afloat. I think that Fuji understood that the GF670W and the GF670 were not going to sell in droves. At least there is still someone in Fuji who understands that there is still a small market for good film cameras. It would be nice if Kodak could do the same thing to help support their own product.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,787
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    We have also gotten accustomed to the camera industry releasing their cameras with absurdly high prices in the beginning, and then dropping to more reasonable prices as time goes on. The Fuji hasn't followed that pattern, and there probably is no intention to do it. The Fuji GF670 prices have stayed pretty constant, even on the used market. I seriously doubt that Fuji needs to sell tons of these cameras to stay afloat. I think that Fuji understood that the GF670W and the GF670 were not going to sell in droves. At least there is still someone in Fuji who understands that there is still a small market for good film cameras. It would be nice if Kodak could do the same thing to help support their own product.
    The problem is, these GF670W's dont seem to sell at all. I know all the vendors here at this camera mall and I see the same boxes sitting there in the window month after month after month. Now going on several years, these cameras clearly are just not selling at 20,000 Chinese yuan ($3,200). At some point the vendors will want to get their money back. Even if they sell the camera, after locking up that money for several years in stock, they might not even be turning a profit!!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,787
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    Apparently, according to: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/, $1500 in 1980 (when the GSW690 was released) is about $4200 now. Bear in mind that in 1980, the average price of a new car was a bit over $7000.

    If the GF670W sits on the shelves a while (which it does seem to), then it's maybe more than the market wants to pay, but it is a lot cheaper than the equivalent was in the 70s, 80s, 90s etc.

    I think the issue is more attitudes towards buying equipment these days. A few decades ago, we bought things to last us 5 or 10 years, now it's scarcely a year and we're looking to sell them. Makes things seem more expensive if you're not keeping it very long.
    The GSW690 was $1500 in the 1990's so you are going too far back in time to compare prices.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,787
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by revdocjim View Post
    That price is too high. I'm surprised given that China usually has good prices on digital cameras and lenses. Here in Tokyo the GF670W costs about 210,000 yen, which is $2,100.
    I bought my GF670 (not the W) used for about $1200. I had to sell several other cameras including a complete RB67 Pro SD kit with lots of lenses and a Wista 4x5 kit to come up with that kind of money but have never regretted it for a moment.
    I would buy one for $2,100. Is that new? When I was in Kyoto, I found one somewhat near that price but it was an open box camera.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tokyo
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    344
    Yes, that is brand new at Fujiya Camera. I'm not sure if you need to log in to see this link or not...
    http://fujiyacamera.shop4.makeshop.j...03000008/order
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tokyo
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    344
    The GF670 and GF670W are definitely counter-cultural statements by Fuji. In their advertising they make a point of stressing that these are not cameras that need to be replaced in two or three years. These are a life time investment. They talk about how ten or twenty years from now if someone sees you using this camera they will respond, "That's a nice camera!" just like they will today. Yes, yes, I know; lots of marketing hype. But I think the customers who do buy these cameras appreciate them a lot more than when we go out and buy the latest digital body.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,787
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by revdocjim View Post
    Yes, that is brand new at Fujiya Camera. I'm not sure if you need to log in to see this link or not...
    http://fujiyacamera.shop4.makeshop.j...03000008/order
    Wow....that's $1000 cheaper than here in China. Very impressive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin