Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,707   Online: 912

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fay Godwin the Britsh landscape photographer shot with a 6x6 slr and always printed square and I've been to many exhibitions where the photographers used square prints.

I like the square format but I work with 6x9, 5x4 (also 10x8) and 6x17 and always compose and print to the films format.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like square, but I print to whatever the subject requires.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    I always compose for square with my Hasselblad and rectangle for my 4x5 and 8x10 cameras. The only time I crop an image is with my digital camera like I used to with 35mm cameras. I have never cared much for the longer 35mm aspect. There is nothing wrong with it, I just don't "see" that way.

To me, composing square is a creative break from composing the standard rectangle which I also enjoy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow! I had no idea when I started this thread that I would receive the amount of responses I have! A thank you to all who ventured their opinions. As a multi format user (35mm SLR and range-finder, 2 1/4 SLR and - and at one time 4x5 ), I am aware of the "limitations" of the TLR format. Insofar as my intentions go, I would be (most likely) looking to use the camera for landscape, fine art and portraiture work. Like my Hasselblads, the TLR would most likely find itself - for the most part - mounted atop a Tiltall; issues of weight would not really enter into it. The square format as a limitation?!?! One of the reasons I chose the Blads over other medium format systems was for that very reason: I love the challenge of shooting the square format (and I am a full-frame printer). And speed, when working in medium format, is not of the essence...

A thank you, Matt King, for your generous offer of the use of your TLR; Matt, I will pm you in a couple of weeks if the offer is still open. This weekend, I am over to Victoria to shoot the 150th Highland Games (giving a couple of the Nikon F2s a workout), and then spend the week following (first of six weeks' vacation time this year) shooting landscapes and nature work (E100G and FP4 with the Hasselblads) mid-Island (Cathedral Grove, Fanny Bay and possibly Tofino). Given that "some" hiking will be involved, I want to keep the old backpack as light as possible (several of the locations I will be checking out will be "look-see" ventures). When assessing the TLR, I would like to take my time, just carting the camera with an 80mm, a meter and the tripod. Again, a thanks to all who took the time to respond!
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Square. Got started in square with a Seagull rangefinder, kept with it through my Hasselblad days, and now again with my Rolleiflex (flexes?flexii? I have two).
    Okay I can't resist. Rolleiflex is made by a German company. Therefore it's probably "Rolleiflexen." But I digress.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May be Rolleicordchen and Rolleiflexner...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Yashica D to pretty good results, but I've noticed the edge definition on Rolleis to be much more contrasty. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my Yashica, but it's definitely time for me to upgrade. Wide open, the Yashica D can be very swirly and that's not a look I'm into.

TLRs have been my first foray into medium format cameras and I'm enjoying them a lot. I used a Lubitel for a little while, but kind of found it to be horrible. Thankfully, I didn't spend $300+ on a Lomography one. But the Yashica D is around the size of a Hasselblad, maybe smaller, and fits in my Think Tank Retrospective 5 perfectly.

Here's a quick photo from my test roll. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kchoquette/8751102862/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me, using a prism on a TLR is giving up one of the main benefits, the unique perspective and stability of handling - ok, two of the benefits - of the TLR design. YMMV of course.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I love using my Rollei but only with a Prism. Not only is the image the correct orientation and easy to focus, it is solid and balanced and great for hand holding slow speeds. I owned a Rollei for years but was never able to take it seriously till I got a prism.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I wonder if "most" people actually do?

Informal poll for 6x6 shooters - do you print square or crop to rectangular? I do both at different times.
    Square. Firstly, I like the challenge of "filling the frame." Secondly, I am something of a purist: I print full-frame irrespective of the format I happen to be shooting.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin