Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,628   Online: 862

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I know it is not one of the two you mention, but how about a Rollicord? Great value for money.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Yashica A and a Rolleicord lll, I like what I get from each camera. Both cameras have bright viewfinders, I like the shutter release on the Yashica and like the 500 shutter speed of the Rollei. Good luck in your search.

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a Rolleiflex T (with 75/3.5 Tessat lens) and now have Minotla Autocord. While both are great cameras, I somehow preferred handling of the Rolleiflex (but this could just be that the Rolleiflex was my first TLR and first 6x6 camera). Both have great lenses which produce very nice portraits (nothing wrong though with Planar or Xenotar lenses in the more expensive Rolleiflex models, of course) and stopping down a bit are really sharp across the field.

TLR is a great experience if you give it time to learn and do not plan to hurry too much while shooting. It is definitely worth a try

Shooter
    Large Format
    Several years ago my daughter played in a National Fastpitch Softball Tournament. There were two women there taking team photos of all the teams with a Yashica TLR. When we received our 8x10 team photo I was completely unimpressed. The entire photo looked soft.

I assumed at the time that the Yashica TLR's had lousy lenses. I don't know. Maybe they had one with a clouded lens or they just completely missed focus.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This would be an awesome starter TLR....

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1496029

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Several years ago my daughter played in a National Fastpitch Softball Tournament. There were two women there taking team photos of all the teams with a Yashica TLR. When we received our 8x10 team photo I was completely unimpressed. The entire photo looked soft.

I assumed at the time that the Yashica TLR's had lousy lenses. I don't know. Maybe they had one with a clouded lens or they just completely missed focus.
    Even the older Yashikor lenses shouldn't have been entirely soft. The Yashinon in the later ones are good lenses. There are several shots on my Flickr page made with mine. This past Christmas I gave my mother and father in law a mounted, framed print roughly 15" square made from a Pan F+ negative shot in my Yashicamat. They love it.

They probably just missed focus, or the lens was a bad sample, possibly damaged or the focus mechanism was misadjusted.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    You might also consider the Minolta Autocord on what I read. I have two flexes and they get the most use these days. Condition of the lens and shutter is everything though

I will go along with the Minolta Autocord models. The lenses are absolutely cracking. The cameras themselves are very well engineered and will not disappoint. The models with the meter may or may not work (Lack of suitable batteries) but there are never the less well worth the money asked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can afford it get a Rolleiflex. Hands down. Get a CLA from a good technician (don't skimp on this) or you'll likely be compromising what the Rolleiflex can do for you. If money is tight Rolleicord, Autocord or Yashicamat. Condition more important than which one you get. Again, CLA a very good idea.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Even the older Yashikor lenses shouldn't have been entirely soft. The Yashinon in the later ones are good lenses. There are several shots on my Flickr page made with mine. This past Christmas I gave my mother and father in law a mounted, framed print roughly 15" square made from a Pan F+ negative shot in my Yashicamat. They love it.

They probably just missed focus, or the lens was a bad sample, possibly damaged or the focus mechanism was misadjusted.
    I hope they just missed focus. There were teams here in St. Louis from California, Michigan, Florida and as far east as Indiana. They photographed each team and sold 8x10's to the people who wanted them. Of course a lot of people bought them but at least they were cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TLR's are not for everyone they are big, clunky and slow to use. Then there is the cost of film for only 12 exposures. I have several Yashicas, a Mamiya C33 with 3 lenses and a Seagull. For most of the time they sit on the shelf. I find them useful for only certain subjects. I would suggest first borrowing one to see if this format suits you.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin