Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,616   Online: 804

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hey Roger,

I checked out your flicker page and I love the b&w photo of your wife sitting down in New Orleans taken with your Yashica!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    TLR's are not for everyone they are big, clunky and slow to use. Then there is the cost of film for only 12 exposures. I have several Yashicas, a Mamiya C33 with 3 lenses and a Seagull. For most of the time they sit on the shelf. I find them useful for only certain subjects. I would suggest first borrowing one to see if this format suits you.
    Big, clunky and slow???

None of those words describe my Yashica for me. It is not big, it is not clunky. Slow is relative and a matter of perception. It isn't as fast as using my 35mm SLRs or my 645 Pro, true enough, but it's plenty quick to use. I typically walk around and take meter readings with my handheld meter as I move to different light and set it on the dials, so I'm ready to go. It's almost as fast as the SLRs this way, while being far smaller, lighter, quieter and less obtrusive than the 645 Pro, with far better negative quality than 35mm. I like the 12 shots too. With 35mm I often have the same roll in the camera for weeks, sometimes months. Thirty six is just too darned many. 12-15 are just right for most subjects for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used the Autocord, Yashicas and Rolleiflexes/Rolleicords. They're all good. My Yashica has a German Lumaxar lens which predates the Yashinon and is very sharp, but the Yashinon is also very good. The only problem that I've had with the Yashicas is that even when using a lens hood they were susceptible to flare. That was easily cured by flocking the interior of the camera.

The Kodak Reflex II is a great tlr, but it's tough to find one in good shape and since it is a 620 camera you have to re-spool 120 film onto 620 spools, but it's worth it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrismat61/
    Last edited by Chrismat; 05-11-2013 at 06:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Hey Roger,

I checked out your flicker page and I love the b&w photo of your wife sitting down in New Orleans taken with your Yashica!
    Thanks Alan!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My YashicaMat was my travel camera of choice for a while - on a bicycle no less. The TLR box shape is great for packing. These cameras are all getting on a bit, so actual condition is important. There are things that are unique to TLRs - parallax in one axis (rangefinders have parallax in two axes), left to right image reversal, and most are geared to right-hand use.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Harry Fleenor is the go-to guy for Rollei, BTW, Mark Hama here in Atlanta (well, across town from me, over in Smyrna) for Yashica. I'm sure others do a good job but they are the known experts.

Mark has CLAed Yashicas on eBay frequently with a six month warranty. They aren't inexpensive but are probably fair deals for a camera he has gone over.

The above comment is spot on. I've handed mine to several friends who, after moving it around just a couple of passes back and forth, exclaimed that the right/left reversal was impossible for them to deal with. These have all been either non-photographers or those who have shot only 35mm and digital, though. It's not the best for fast moving subjects, true, but otherwise I got used to it in pretty short order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bradley:

If you would like to actually try out a C330, send me a PM.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post

I've handed mine to several friends who, after moving it around just a couple of passes back and forth, exclaimed that the right/left reversal was impossible for them to deal with. These have all been either non-photographers or those who have shot only 35mm and digital, though. It's not the best for fast moving subjects, true, but otherwise I got used to it in pretty short order.
    They sound like the same friends I have. I let them look under the dark cloth of one of my large format cameras and they can't understand how I can take a picture of something upside down on the ground glass.

Like you said, you just mess with it awhile and you get used to it. I don't even think about it any more with my Blad with waist level finder.

Now if I can just get the autofocus to work the way I want on my Nikon D300.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    One of the few camera species I have yet to shoot with is the TLR. The few folks I know who shoot with them all mention the same virtues: the camera is quiet and unobtrusive and the 2 1/4 negatives are a joy to print. So...I am considering the purchase of one. Folks posting here seem about evenly divided between the Rolliflex and the Yashica. Any advantage in either? Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    I'm a huge fan of TLRs. They are a much more contemplative way of working, which compliments my normal approach nicely. I did purchase a new Fujifilm GF670 and have had to repeatedly calm and reassure the Yashica that she isn't being dumped for a younger girl. Waist-level viewing and taking is still a completely unique experience compared to eye-level, and much preferred in candid and many other situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Several years ago my daughter played in a National Fastpitch Softball Tournament. There were two women there taking team photos of all the teams with a Yashica TLR. When we received our 8x10 team photo I was completely unimpressed. The entire photo looked soft.

I assumed at the time that the Yashica TLR's had lousy lenses. I don't know. Maybe they had one with a clouded lens or they just completely missed focus.
    I have not found such softness to be the case. Here's an example photograph highlighting lens sharpness in a Yashica. This was made using a handheld Yashica Mat-124G on an overcast day. The scan has been sharpened only enough to approximate a test print I have from the negative. I don't exactly recall, but I'd guess this was done at around f/8, or so.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 05-11-2013 at 07:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added appropriate quote blocks...
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Large Format
    It looks sharp to me, Ken!

I guess they had a problem camera or missed focus. Roger's images looked great too.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin