Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,733   Online: 1089

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Tlrs are pretty fun to use. Most people that see them get a real kick out of it, and are usually awed by the focusing screen. someone had called it live view once hehe. There's a learning curve for sure, especially framing moving subjects. I think you should try an inexpensive model out before plunking down a good amount and end up not liking it.
    I encountered at least one person that was rather incredulous that the ground glass view didn't involve a battery and electronics.

Oddly, one person who was put off in frustration by the right/left reversed view had no problems with the inverted view on the ground glass of the 4x5 and loved the big camera. I suppose being reversed is ok as long as it's also inverted, making it still correct in a sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Define "clunky".
    Perhaps ungainly is a better word. The C33 weighs 6 pounds. Swap out the 80 mm lens and add the 180 mm one and the grip and you're around 10 lbs. Try walking about for more than a few minutes with this weight around your neck. A wonderful camera when used on a tripod. I tend to think of TLRs in terms of contemplative photography where there is no time constraint.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Oddly, one person who was put off in frustration by the right/left reversed view had no problems with the inverted view on the ground glass of the 4x5 and loved the big camera. I suppose being reversed is ok as long as it's also inverted, making it still correct in a sense.
    I agree, when the image is inverted the brain is immediately cued that things are not what they seem. When the image is merely reversed one must make a continuous effert to remember that the image is reversed. This reversal is particularly annoying when trying to track a subject moving from left to right and vice versa. One tends to first move the camera in the wrong direction. The problem goes away after a period of use but returns whenever there is a period of disuse.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen the Mamiya TLRs but never held one. I had no idea they weighed 6 pounds, presumably without the lens, or is that with the 80mm? Either way, that makes them even more different animals from Rolleis and Yashicas than I thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A YashicaMat (pre 124) weighs just over 1100g. A C33 with 80mm lens is around 2170g, and the Mamiya 6 with 75mm is about 1140g. The full comparison table is at http://grahampatterson.home.comcast....tml#Heading141

Weight is not the whole story. TLRs are basic boxes, and balance well, especially on a neck strap at waist height. The Mamiya C series need a very different grip to handle them, and are probably not the easiest to hand hold. The mass of the camera does absorb some vibration, though. The Mamiya 6 rangefinder holds well, but the eye-level position makes handholding a little less stable.

In many ways the nice thing about a TLR (except perhaps the Mamiya C) is that you don't get tempted to carry a lot of extra bits. My closeup lens set, a couple of filters, and a lens hood live in cases on the camera strap. Add film and a lightmeter and I'm off. No need to debate about needing a long or wide lens.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The C series Mamiya TLRs are built like tanks particularly the earlier ones, the last versions of the C330 were more plasticy though. I enjoyed using mine but for some of my work at the time the Mamiya 645s I replaced them with were more practical (I was using them commercially).

I prefer the weight of my Rolleiflex and Yashica, unobtrusive and easy to carry even in the extreme heat in Turkey.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I've seen the Mamiya TLRs but never held one. I had no idea they weighed 6 pounds, presumably without the lens, or is that with the 80mm? Either way, that makes them even more different animals from Rolleis and Yashicas than I thought.
    That is the weight with the 80mm lens. The 80 mm lens alone weighs 12 ounces. the 180 mm lens with shade is close to 2 pounds. The 180 plus shade extends 5 inches from the camera body. A formidable piece of equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have just weighted my C330 (early version) with a 80mm lens and it's 1,7 kg (3,7 pounds). I never use a tripod or a strap as I find the camera very easy to hold in my palm, even with the 180mm Super attached. It's my preferred camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    In many ways the nice thing about a TLR (except perhaps the Mamiya C) is that you don't get tempted to carry a lot of extra bits. My closeup lens set, a couple of filters, and a lens hood live in cases on the camera strap. Add film and a lightmeter and I'm off. No need to debate about needing a long or wide lens.
    I do agree with this. It is the same with my folding cameras as well, and it is a very nice feeling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well yeah, that's part of why walking around being prepared to photograph while doing something else or just going for a walk with the Yashica is so much more pleasant than the Mamiya. I take a small shoulder bag that holds the camera, filters, lens hood, plenty of extra film and my Luna Pro SBC (not a small meter) and it's all still tiny, or just the loaded camera with lens hood and the meter in a (jacket) pocket. I COULD just carry the 645 with one back and lens, but even then it's much larger and heavier. Start taking the bag I keep it in with three 120 backs, the Polaroid back, several extra inserts, three lenses... the thing weighs more than my 4x5 kit with six film holders.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin