Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,956   Online: 1139

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Considering a TLR

One of the few camera species I have yet to shoot with is the TLR. The few folks I know who shoot with them all mention the same virtues: the camera is quiet and unobtrusive and the 2 1/4 negatives are a joy to print. So...I am considering the purchase of one. Folks posting here seem about evenly divided between the Rolliflex and the Yashica. Any advantage in either? Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rolleiflex is better. Yashica is less expensive and a good buy. I'd like to have a Rollei some day but I have a Yashicamat 124 I paid $185 for and I love it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's sort of a "Toyota/Lexus" question. Just get a Yashica that has Yashinon, not Yashikor lenses and you'll be fine. Then. if you love the TLR that much, sell the Yashica later for what you paid for it and get a Rollei.

Don't over look a Mamiya - interchangeable lenses!
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Roger Cole. I inherite my Rolleiflex from my father after he passed away. You'll be happy with either one.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If not getting a Rolleiflex, I'd opt for a Rolleicord over a Yashica.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You might also consider the Minolta Autocord on what I read. I have two flexes and they get the most use these days. Condition of the lens and shutter is everything though

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Mamiya TLRs are great cameras but they are much bigger and heavier than fixed lens TLRs. You should see them in person or at least in a photo side by side with a fixed lens TLR to decide whether this matters to you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Only ever had Rolleiflexes, never used a Yashica. The Yashicas look very nice though, but I don't have a bad word to say about Rolleiflexes either really.

Only thing I'd say is probably don't bother with a meter, it can add a bit to the price, and sometimes the accuracy can be a bit ropey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many of the Yashica's are over-hyped and over-priced...especially the 124-G.
    I wouldn't rule out the Mamiya 'C' series TLR's.

Mamiya's are a bit more versatile...considering the seven (7) separate focal lengths of interchangeable lenses available.
    They're bigger and heavier then a Rollei or a Yashica, but my 55mm and 180mm are some of my favorite lenses.
    I monopod when I'm on-the-go (or bag-pod), and for most landscapes and portraiture, I tripod the Mamiya.

Marc

Shooter
    35mm
    A couple of days ago I bought a Yashica-A off eBay and am looking forward to using a real TLR.

I don't know how highly regarded the Yashica-A is but it "looks" like a nice old camera.

That said I've had fun with my cheap Argus Seventy-Five, and a Recesky TLR 35mm kit camera (Not much of a camera but it does work).

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin