Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,487   Online: 1046

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    Don't be a slave to a back pack ...
    Yep. Learned my lesson.

That's me on a German vacation in 2004. I still have the backpack, and use it for storage and transport in the car; but it hasn't been on my back since. Each trip after that, I traveled lighter and lighter, camera-wise.

Now, having said that, all honesty compels me to tell you that it is going to Iceland this Fall with Bill Schwab and his tour. So, it will be filled up again. However, this is a special case: we will be on a photo trip, and have transportation. But, if I'm a regular tourist, I'm there to enjoy my vacation and not to take pictures. Something small and light (and probably not mention-able on APUG) is all that is needed for a vacation.

As usual, your mileage may vary. For one thing, it depends on how you shoot normally and what gear you own. With all those variables, it's hard to give a pat answer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails backpack.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scenario 1: 2 Minolta X-bodies (1 for color, 1 for B&W) 35mm, 50mm and 200mm prime lenses with a 2x converter (This covers 35, 50, 70, 100, 200 and 400).

Scenario 2: The minimalist solution - Zeiss Ikonta folder with Tmax 400 and an orange filter and my Minolta light meter. Remove the filter for lower light situations.

Scenario 3: Mamiya C33 with 80mm, 135mm and 180mm and Minolta light meter. The body is a beast but the lenses are surprisingly light. You can't beat the image quality.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    No question - Leica M2 with 50mm 1.4 Summilux loaded with FP4.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=David Brown;1497773]Yep. Learned my lesson.

But, if I'm a regular tourist, I'm there to enjoy my vacation and not to take pictures. Something small and light (and probably not mention-able on APUG) is all that is needed for a vacation.

In my world why take a vacation and not take pictures, reason for vacations is to take pictures.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    On my last two European trips, I brought my Mamiya 7, an 80mm lens, a polarizer and a flash. (and a lot of film)
    The best advice is - don't over-pack.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    basic OM1 + 50mm 1.8 B&W
    If I can I add OM2 + my faithful 35-70mm F4 which I am never disappointed with. Colour.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Mamiya 7 is a great idea, it's probably the best compromise of portability and flexibility. It's got 6x7 quality, but you can shoot it like it was a 35mm camera. Either that or a GF670, less flexible with the built in lens, but even more portable.

So for me, certainly medium format, and something easy to hand hold. But it depends on location too, if I was going somewhere deep in nature, with a lot of time to spare, I'd probably want to bring along my 4x5 too.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    I am leaving on the 24th to go to Iceland for three days and then on to Paris for two weeks.
    Do you suffer GAS? Then avoid Bievre!

http://www.foirephoto-bievre.com/index.php/en/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless the trip is specifically for photography, and nothing else, I'd take the camera I am most comfortable using, and simplify it's kit as much as possible. And, it should be a camera you already own and know.

It's not the camera that will make great images, it's the eyes and head behind it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I head down to the Caribbean in a few weeks. I'll be bringing a Fuji GSW690, Fuji GW690, Holga Pano, a Diana, (now Flying Camera has me thinking of bringing my Rollei 3.5f, too). Part of my trip is to shoot a job for a hotel, but the rest of the time is mine to do as I please. I'll be shipping 100+ rolls of 120 down ahead of time. I don't know how much film I'll use, but better too much than too few. 120 can't be found on the island.

One of my favorite parts of doing a lot of shooting, on vacation, is having months of darkroom work to do upon my return. It effectively extends the experience, as the sights, sounds, aromas, come back to me while printing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin