Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,634   Online: 991

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want tight head shots on a TLR I suggest you look at a Mamiya C330F and a 180 mm lens pair I've been shooting portraits with this combination and the 135mm lenses for about 25 years and can highly recommend it, and will give you better optical quality using prime lenses than mutars and other afocal attachments.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    Richard avadon used a rollie tlr mostly and a hasselblad for all the Rollie was not.
    ? Richard Avedon used a Hasselblad?
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Avadon only used one when he needed a 150 over the 80 of his flex.

Rolleiflex
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had no idea. I thought he only used a normal (for 6x6 and 8x10). Doesn't really influence my decision but that's interesting to know.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you already use a Rolleiflex you may be more comfortable with a TLR rather than a 6x6 SLR. I would look into a tele Rollei or a member of the Mamiya C series. Of the two choices the Mamiya's offer the most flexability and choice of lenses.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most of Avedon's The American West was shot on 8x10, but yes he did use a Rolleiflex for much of his work.

If you're thinking of something for headshots and you don't mind the bulk of the SL66, why not an RZ67? You could get it, the motor winder, two backs, and the 180 lens well within your budget. Plus you'd be able to shoot rectangles for vertical portraits without having to worry about cropping. If you must stick to a European camera, then go with the Hassy. If you're shooting portraits in the studio, that flash sync speed is a huge issue, and that's a weak spot for the Rollei. At 1/30th, you'll start to see fringing from the modeling lights on your studio strobes, and you can pick up motion blur from your sitters because the shutter is open so long relative to the flash duration.

Best bet though to eliminate or select one system is to try and rent the Hasselblad kit (try renting a Rollei SL66!) and see if you like what it does.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One of the reasons that I really like my hasselblad is that I can pre-release the mirror and have essentially no camera shake, no focal plane shutter like the Rollie or Pentax 6x7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    pre-release is MLU, right?

The Pentax 67 has MLU (all but the first, I beleive unless modified).

The Rolleiflex SLR's don't have this feature?
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    Thank you Benjamin, that was very informative! Many things to consider. I am unsure on my budget. I'm more interested in finding the "right" camera right now. I'm thinking 1k-2k. I'm not inclined in spending too much money but if it is the right camera then I would consider spending more. I'd rather wait to be able to afford the camera that I want rather than spending less for a camera that I don't want. I made this mistake with the Pentacon Six, lol.
    Have you already considered a Rolleiflex 600x? Leafshutter, very similar lenses to Hasselblad but more advanced and less expensive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin