Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,099   Online: 884

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

New Camera, now the search for film begins.....

I was out cycling today, about 15 miles from the house when I rode by a yard sale, I usually don't pay much attention to them, but I noticed an enlarger on one of the tables so I figured an enlarger usually means good stuff.

I get off my bike and give my legs a little break from cycling against the wind for the past 40 minutes, not to mention that big a$$ hill I just went up. Made a bee line to the enlarger and it looked decent, I couldn't find a name on it, but it has seen better days. I noticed some Nikon SLR's, an FM (I think) and an EM. A few E-series lenses and this Eastman box, I wonder what kind of random spare parts are in here? Oh, wait! It its heavy. It's gotta be something good. And indeed it was. A new in box, totally unused Kodak Junior Six-16. I thought they would want a little change for that, I was thinking $20, hoping to settle on $10 because thats all I had with me. I ask the lady and she says "Thats old, nobody shoots that anymore, but it will look good on your bookshelf if you need a decoration" I ask her how much and she says "2 bucks" I gave her the $10 and said "thanks" Tucked it into the back of my cycling jersey and started home. The longest ride of my life it seemed like.

I know 616 film is pretty much non existent, but I was hoping there was some sort of modification I can do the my 120 spools to allow me to use 120 film. Nothing that damages or alters the camera. It's a freaking beauty, I almost don't want to use it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	634.3 KB 
ID:	68962

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	613.7 KB 
ID:	68963

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	632.3 KB 
ID:	68964

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	444.0 KB 
ID:	68965

Name:	photo 5.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	629.6 KB 
ID:	68966

Shooter
    Multi Format
    there are more elaborate ways, but i went to the hardware store and found some round dealies with a threaded piece of steel in the middle that make excellent spacers to hold 120 in a 116 space, same should work for 616.

Lovely find, you are right, it is almost wrong to use it, but you should.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I believe there's a thead on here about that. Find it and read-up. I remember as being very informative. It was maybe a month ago, but don't remember exactly how to find it for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too bad the camera isn't a 620. That would only require re-spooling 120 film onto 620 spools.
    In a 616 camera, 70mm film can be used, but you'll need to find/make backing paper plus a supply of 616 spools.
    The camera can be [reversibly] modified for 120 film; see PDF link, inside the below link.
    http://www.bnphoto.org/bnphoto/Kodak616.htm

Lots of hoops to jump through.
    Nice find, though.

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Google 616 film, lots of ideas on respooling to use 616 and even shimming with 120.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You paid less than the original price tag, not even considering inflation...What a steal!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is another example of someone's approach: http://www.makinghappy.com/archive/000179.php
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Ilford is taking orders for its annual "ULF" production, that includes 70mm unperforated.
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/page.asp?n=137
    Good advice on that bnphoto site.
    Just adapting to 120 spools will leave the long edges of the film unsupported across the film chamber; if you choose to go that route, be sure to advance the film just before taking each picture to minimize slack.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Absolutely splendid! I just love seeing things like this - it's like a time machine.

Now go make some pictures!
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently shot some rolls with an older similar format Kodak- a #3. It was pretty simple to adapt 120 to work. A couple of spare 120 donor spools to cut up for adapters, a short piece of aluminum tubing from a hobby shop and a small rectangle of styrene for an advancing paddle to fit in the slot of the end of a spool. Some Cyanoacrylate glue held the bits together. To keep the film flat I used some basswood from the hobby shop but you could easily use some plastic from the recycle bin. I used a removable glue (rubber cement) to hold the plastic when reducing the opening, sand the plastic to create a tooth for the glue to take. Some gaffers tape to secure it as well. It should pop off easily and leave no trace.

Name:	IMG_9672.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	68971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9670.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	68972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kodak3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	428.0 KB 
ID:	68973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin