Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,997   Online: 859

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    This question makes me think of "Would you trade in your Maserati for a Ford F-150?" It's comparing apples and oranges.
    Wow! That sounds rather elitist! So you really think comparing an old M3 or M2 to a Fuji GF670, or a Plaubel Makina 67 or the Mamiya 6 is similar to comparing a Maserati to a Ford F-150? I am either misunderstanding your logic or I think you are soundly lost in the deep end of the Leica fantasy world. There's no doubt that Leicas are extremely fine cameras with an almost "jewel" like built quality that allows them to command prices that have close to nothing to do with their photographic performance. But the three other cameras mentioned above have virtually no qualities that would place them in the category of utility pickup truck, other than the fact that they are quite a bit larger than a Leica.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    To answer the OP's question directly, yes I went directly from an M3 with 35mm to a Fuji 6x9 and never looked back. The principal reason for the change was that, for the work that I like to do, I stick to one camera/lens and the tonality/grain/print size combination that I wanted was very difficult to achieve with 35mm (after all, once you start trying to get ever finer grain and end up using a Leica with Tech Pan on a tripod it rather negates the point of having a hand-held 35 camera). After a few years of happy use with the Fuji, I borrowed a friend's Mamiya 7 with 65mm lens. I swiftly sold the Fuji and have stuck ever since with the Mamiya combination.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by revdocjim View Post
    [...] I think you are soundly lost in the deep end of the Leica fantasy world. [...]
    That's a very nice way to express it.

My votes goes to the Bronica RF645, surely isn't the same as a Leica, but as image quality is real nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by revdocjim View Post
    Wow! That sounds rather elitist!
    Please reread my port. My comment concerned the very different styles of photography between the two types of cameras. Apples and oranges or sport car versus truck. I don't own a Leica, can't afford one, so I cannot be accused of being elitist.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 05-27-2013 at 12:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the explanation Gerald. I guess that's why I qualified my comments with the caveat about possibly misunderstanding your logic. I guess your choice of a sports car that costs about 5 times as much as the F150 is what threw me, since that isn't the case at all with an M3 and the medium format rangefinders in question. But I will gladly retract my comment about your comment sounding elitist, with due apologies!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're thinking of medium format rangefinders, the Mamiya 6 or Mamiya 7 are great choices, but with the caveat of limited close focus, as with most rangefinders. This isn't so terrible on the wider lenses, but with the 150mm lens, your minimum focus distance is 6 feet, which is not close enough for a tight head shot. If you think along these lines, look at the Mamiya 7 instead - there are five lenses available for it, instead of three, and it gives you the 6x7 aspect ratio which you can always crop if you want back to square. With any medium format rangefinder you're not going to get the fast lenses you have with 35mm. Why not just stick to your Rolleiflex? There's no reason you can't use it for family photos as well as work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi revdocjim,

I was casting around for an easily recognizable sports car name and Maserati popped into my head. I could have said Corvette or many others. Couldn't afford the insurance let alone the car price itself.

Jerry
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    That's my point. A 120 rangefinder can't be smaller than an M3.
    According to Wikipedia, the dimensions of an M3 are 138 × 77 × 33.5 mm.

I just measured my Voigtlaender Bessa 66 and it is 124 x 73 x 32 mm with the view finder down.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    According to Wikipedia, the dimensions of an M3 are 138 × 77 × 33.5 mm.
    I just measured my Voigtlaender Bessa 66 and it is 124 x 73 x 32 mm with the view finder down.
    But the Bessa 66 isn't a rangefinder, is it ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AOCo View Post
    But the Bessa 66 isn't a rangefinder, is it ?
    It'a a viewfinder. What would a rangefinder add to the height? 15 mm? The length and depth would not need to change, so it would still be pretty darned close.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin