Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,192   Online: 778

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

did you replace Leica with a 120 rangefinder?

I have Leica gear and 120 gear (well just Rolleiflex). I oftentimes want to expand my 120 gear as I use that more often than 35mm but I can't justify spending more money in photography with a modest Leica system that is largely unused...I actually use my Rollei 35 more than my Leica these days. Well, I'm going to cut down on my Leica system and perhaps look into some 120 rangefinders after releasing some funds. I'm not a street shooter. I just want to have a camera to shoot my family and friends and i think that a few 120 RF's might do the trick: Mamiya 6, Plaubel Makina, or Fuji GF670. I prefer to be more selective and shoot less. I will sell some lenses and maybe my spare body and see how it works and if I don't miss leica then maybe thaat system will go too....12 frames in 6x6 is fine with me and however many frames 645 or 67 gets is probably fine too (but I prefer the 1:1 aspect ratio...).

I know that this oftentimes comes up but people just end up going back to Leica. Did you leave Leica for 120?
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, I left Leica for 120. I got a Zeiss Super Ikonta III, and it's smaller than my Leica M3 was. I didn't need 36 exposures or fast lenses, so 35mm does not make that much sense for me. However, I have retained a Rollei 35 too for when I want something *really* small.

Leica cameras are beautiful, no question about that, but the 35mm frame is only worth it for me if I want to take a lot of shots, like on vacation maybe.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    I got a Zeiss Super Ikonta III, and it's smaller than my Leica M3 was.
    How is that possible? The M3 body is only a quarter-inch taller than a 120 spool.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As with the suggestion for the Zeiss, I would suggest dipping your toe in the water with a cheaper folding camera. As an alternative perhaps a 6x9 Agfa Record III with the excellent Solinar lens. Because of the price's on Ebay you can hopefully get one before starting to sell off other equipment, just in case you and 120 don't get along.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got a Mamiya 6 with all three lenses. Sold my Hasselblad to get it, and still have my Leicas, but I no longer use them much. I love rangefinders, and with the Mamiya 6 so small and light compared to the Hassy I replaced with the Mamiya, it seems like the Leicas are not really needed.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Large Format
    Over the years I've used a bunch of different 120 rangefinders. They can make wonderful pictures, of course, but I've found that for me they can't replace 35mm, both because the range of conditions under which I can use them effectively hand-held is substantially restricted compared to a 35 with a fast lens, and because the overhead of developing means I can't work as freely as I can with 36 (or sometimes 72) exposures per roll. And conversely, once I go to the trouble of lugging a tripod, I usually prefer to go all the way to large format.

As always, you just need to try it and see what works best for you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    How is that possible? The M3 body is only a quarter-inch taller than a 120 spool.
    The Super Ikonta is a bit larger, but as for the Perkeo...

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...8&postcount=10

Shooter
    35mm
    That's my point. A 120 rangefinder can't be smaller than an M3.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    That's my point. A 120 rangefinder can't be smaller than an M3.
    It depends on how larded up with accessories your M3 is. If it has a rigid Summicron and a meter or accessory viewfinder on top the Zeiss will fold up flatter and will be about the same height. I think thegman was talking in practical user terms, not trying to generate a 'mine is smaller than yours' battle, but it's one of the few times in life where bragging rights seem to go to how diminutive your 'equipment' is.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some years ago I sold my 135 gear (Nikon SLR) and bought a Mamiya 6 with 3 lenses. I then sold it to move to LF with a Rollei TLR. Wanted more frames per roll and rectangular format for travel purposes, so returned to 135 (Leica MP this time). Then bought a Fotoman 69 with 3 lenses. So now I'm a happy user of all formats, and I grab what suits best for each occasion!

Bottom line is don't sell a camera unless you have to, because more likely than not you will miss it later.

George

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin