Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,893   Online: 1164

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Any reasons for not getting Bronica SQ series?

I'm concerned about reliability and where to get service, Also, how are the lenses? Yhanks, Chip

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't say anything about servicing because may camera has never needed it, but the lenses are top quality. You are probably thinking about comparisons with the Big 'H' brand, but having used both I can't say I find an awful lot of difference in the results.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've got an SQ-A with 50, 80 and 150mm lenses, and can't say that I have any complaints about their images. OK, sometimes I think the Zeiss Planar on the 500C/M has a bit more depth to the image, but really, for the most part the Bronica lenses are just fine. And I do like the handling with the Action Grip or whatever it is called, with the thumb wind for the film advance -- the grip make the camera easier to hold steady, especially when it's glued to your eye. I can recommend the cameras.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is a great camera system. As someone mentioned, the grip is fantastic and Hassy offers nothing like it. Lenses are good too, the 80mm is a fantastic lens. Don't be concerned about comparability to Hassy lenses, the SQ lenses are so close you may only notice a difference if you shot into the sun, or shot wide open etc. If you want super sharp lenses in MF you go with a rangefinder anyway. You can't go wrong with the SQ if you don't mind an SLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My SQa is my daily driver. I have the standard 80 and a 50, which is the lens I use most often. I get tack sharp images. I use Fuji Acros and Provia 100 films. Get a couple extra 120 film backs, but don't bother with the 22 film backs, they don't advance properly with 129 film. Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    I'm concerned about reliability and where to get service, Also, how are the lenses? Yhanks, Chip
    I suspect the cost of a replacement part would more often be less than the cost of having it serviced. There are plenty of SQ cameras, lenses, backs and finders out there, so you won't run out of supply anytime soon. Buy from a reputable source, such as KEH which will also get you a 6 month warranty.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I used to own an S2a and the EC. The earlier Bronica cameras used a focal plane shutter. With the SQ, Bronica copied the Hasselblad and used leaf shutter lenses.

The fit and finish of the Bronica isn't quite as nice as the Blad but is a lot less expensive. The lenses are comparable in real life shooting. If you saw a bunch of 11x14's mixed on a table made with the Bronica and the Blad, you wouldn't know what was shot with which camera. The only negative that I have ever heard about them is that the film backs are the weak part of the system as far as reliability. Now you need to understand that I read this on the internet and I don't really know how true this is. Of course as cheap as they are, you can afford to replace the film backs if they wear out.

Koh's Camera in New York are the experts in Bronica cameras. In my experience, Jimmy Koh is a great guy to deal with. If you have any technical questions you can contact them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Second the comment about Jimmy Koh. A super person and a fine Bronica Technician. He will tell you what he's got; what shape it's in; how much and so on and its fair. Good outfit. I trust them.
    Logan
    Last edited by whlogan; 05-26-2013 at 04:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrections

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the merits of the Bronica SQ are greatly exaggerated. The 80mm PS lens is superb in B&W but every other lens I found lackluster, especially for color photography. The color rendition looks very dated to me, similar to what cheap off-brand DSLR lenses look like today. The 180mm PS lens was the second best among the ones I tested (PS50, PS65, PS80, S105, PS150, PS180, PS250) but other than those two, I would certainly rather go for a Mamiya C or Bronica S instead, if you need to stay in the same price range.

The older Bronica S has a fantastic lineup in the Nikkor OC 50mm f2.8, Zenzanon 100mm f2.8 and Zenzanon MC 150mm f3.5. If you need the higher speed sync of leaf shutter lenses, I'd suggest going for Hassy and be done with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whlogan View Post
    Second the comment about Jimmy Koh. A super person and a fine Bronica Technician. He will tell you what he's got; what shape it's in; how much and so on and its fair. Good outfit. I trust them.
    Logan
    Last I checked the web site, Jimmy had retired from camera repair.

Bronica is a terrific system. I've owned mine for about 17 years and rarely had any trouble. All modern lenses are top notch. Pixel peeping won't reveal any significant difference.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin