Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,743   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

MF 6X9 cameras with wide angle lens?

Hello.

I have read about the Fuji 690 variations. Are there any other brands that have wide angle lens? The Fuji with a 65mm lens seems common enough. For reference, what would a 65mm on a 6X9 equate to in a 35mm camera field of view? I have a Zeiss Ikonta 6X9 with 105mm lens and that seems to have a similar field of view as my 45mm lens on a 35mm camera.

I like the "perfect rectangle" look of the 3:2 aspect ratio, so that's what attracts me to the 6X9 format. My ultimate use would be capturing Western US landscapes.

All input is greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A lens with focal length f sees the same view on 6x9 (lousy metric approximation to the real format, 2.25" x 3.25", 2x3 for short) as a lens with focal length .43*f sees on 35 mm still. A 65 mm lens on 2x3 sees what a .43 * 65 = 28 mm lens sees on 24 x 36.

If you're willing to use an interchangeable lens camera, you might look into 2x3 press and view cameras. I've happily shot 2x3 Graphics for decades with lenses that cover 2x3 as short as 35 mm. The shortest lens that covers 2x3 and can be used on a 2x3 Speed Graphic is probably the 58/5.6 Grandagon; shorter lenses need a shorter camera such as the Crown Graphic or 2x3 Century Graphic. 2x3 view cameras are much harder to find than 2x3 press cameras.

I'm partial to my Graphics, but you shouldn't overlook the Mamiya Press system. Its shortest two lenses are 50 and 65 mm, both rangefinder coupled.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    A lens with focal length f sees the same view on 6x9 (lousy metric approximation to the real format, 2.25" x 3.25", 2x3 for short) as a lens with focal length .43*f sees on 35 mm still. A 65 mm lens on 2x3 sees what a .43 * 65 = 28 mm lens sees on 24 x 36.

If you're willing to use an interchangeable lens camera, you might look into 2x3 press and view cameras. I've happily shot 2x3 Graphics for decades with lenses that cover 2x3 as short as 35 mm. The shortest lens that covers 2x3 and can be used on a 2x3 Speed Graphic is probably the 58/5.6 Grandagon; shorter lenses need a shorter camera such as the Crown Graphic or 2x3 Century Graphic. 2x3 view cameras are much harder to find than 2x3 press cameras.

I'm partial to my Graphics, but you shouldn't overlook the Mamiya Press system. Its shortest two lenses are 50 and 65 mm, both rangefinder coupled.
    I was unaware of the .43 equation and was just guessing that the 105mm on a 6X9 was equivalent to 45mm on a 2.4X3.6. I was really only aware of the 4"X5" format on the Graflex. Guess I need to look into the 2.25"X3.25" formats. Also on the Mamiyas.

Thanks again for the education.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot my 2.25x3.25 Graflex for old times sake more then anything. But my Fuji G690BL gets a whole lot more use. For one, my Fuji is a lot easier to focus, though that may only be because of my Graflex. About the only time I work with the Graflex is when I am shooting portraits and want to be able to develop each sheet a bit differently. I am not sure how used camera prices work out but the Fuji Wide is easier to handle IMHO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good grief! What's all this "inches nonsense" when talking about film formats? As long as we are in agreement about using metric for our focal lengths, how about doing the same for our frame dimensions? After all, when is the last time a camera manufacturer released a camera and talked about the frame dimension in inches? (Actually I can think of one modern example but will keep quiet about that for now)
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I'm new to MF and LF photography, is there any advantage of a 2X3 (inch) press camera over a 4X5? Size maybe? Seems like there is a lot of talk about 6X7 cm SLRs (RB/RZ 67 etc), 6X6 (Hasselblad, multiple TLRs), and some in the 6X4.5 range too. Kind of seems to me that once you factor in the hassle of loading sheets, the size/weight etc, of that type of camera, you might as well spring for the 4X5 and have a much larger negative to boot? Am I missing something?

BTW, feel free to rip me a new one ;-) I pretty much only know enough to be dangerous!

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Mamyia Universal with both 65 and 50mm lens. Overall the Fuji is newer, the Mamyia requires the use of vewfinder for wide angle, and the Fuji has a intergrated light meter, the Mamyia interchangeable backs. I would judge the Fuji to have an edge in lens quaility.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by revdocjim View Post
    After all, when is the last time a camera manufacturer released a camera and talked about the frame dimension in inches? (Actually I can think of one modern example but will keep quiet about that for now)
    Travelwide 4x5, released like, this year. Truly ancient.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In 6x10, there is the Brooks Veriwide with a 47mm Schneider lens. It's somewhat expensive - probably more than most people are willing to pay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMD View Post
    Travelwide 4x5, released like, this year. Truly ancient.
    Oh yes... I guess I completely forgot about large format, which seems to always be in inches.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin