Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,182   Online: 1165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Need help for newbie (not me! :) ) to start with Rolleiflex & photography in general

Hello,

friend of mine is about the buy a Rolleiflex and get started in photography. He has practically 0 knowledge on the topic and could probably use a help of a few good articles and maybe a good book or two. Most importantly - something that concentrates on the basics and optimally only on analogue photography. He is not going to develop his films for now, so that part is not of relevance.

As I have realised that I do not really have a simple book or few articles on the topic, I would kindly ask for your help here.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Rollei Way, L A Mannheim, might be a good start for the camera side, it was part of a well written series. I don't know if it was published in German but if he speaks/reads english they come up for sale regularly.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Henry Horenstein's Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual can usually be found for next to nothing used and is spectacular! Congrats on your friend joining analog, looks like your APUG card will have to get a punch in it for converting another....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would look for an online owner's manual to start.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I see you are from Germany, so I would recommend Walther Heering "Das Rolleiflex Buch". It covers everything quite well. The different models, how to use them, medium format in general. How to choose exposure time, aperture, depth of field, how to compose in square ect. Can be found pretty cheap now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all.

My friend already has the manual and he is not located in Germany and does not speak german. He speaks english. He is not a member here yet (that will change ), but I gave him the link to this post so he can read your advices directly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may only need a Rolleiflexner or Rolleicordchen and film to start with...rest will follow soon.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Henry Horenstein's Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual can usually be found for next to nothing used and is spectacular! Congrats on your friend joining analog, looks like your APUG card will have to get a punch in it for converting another....
    I second that.

I don't think it's a problem if your friend has his first few rolls of film developed at a lab because having somebody else develop your film is a good way to get over the learning curve of operating the camera. It could be frustrating having to take on both ends of the workflow at the same time, otherwise.

However, once he is comfortable using the camera and producing photographs with it, he really ought to develop his own film. That's where Horenstein will come into play.

I believe, especially these days, if you want to do traditional photography, you really ought to be developing your own film but the smart person takes it one step at a time.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used a Rolleiflex T for years and have been very satisfied with the quality of the 3.5, 75mm Tessar lens. It's not just a case of sharpness, there is a extra what I can only describe as "roundness" about the quality that makes it stand out from anything produced by 35mm or digital.
    Once you become used to the reversed image in the viewfinder, you will love the large composing screen, and learn to take your time composing your picture. This will make you a better photographer. as it will slow you down, making you more discriminating over what you take, with fewer pictures, but they will be of far better quality.
    Do try and develop your own black & white negs., once you settle on a development technique, you will bring out the full quality of your camera. Except for colour tranny, I process my own, since I've increasingly found lab quality erratic with negative material.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about The Black & White Handbook by Roger Hicks & Frances Schultz
    Also the Medium Format Handbook by Roger H, Hicks
    and finally The Medium Format Advantage by Ernst Wildi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin