Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,466   Online: 882

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The 75/2.8 E-II lens is excellent.
    I know I own it.

The E-II is around 25 to 30% less expensive, though both are pretty cheap these days.
    Yes it tends to be more expensive when purchased on it's own which is why I suggest people just get it as a part of their initial kit. Often you can get a kit with all the latest or best goodies for a lot less than buying individual pieces later.

The PE has half-stop detents, but myself I prefer full-stop detents, so for me that's not important.
    Why would someone want less control?

I actually ended up getting a Rollei 6008i when I started wanting to upgrade parts of my old ETRS package. At today's prices it's better to just get the whole kit at a good price and know you have basically all the features in the newest model.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by James-EG View Post
    Sorry to post in here again but I didn't want to start a new thread for this small question, I found a Bronica ETRSi starting at a good price for me and it comes with two lenses (75mm f/2.8 and 105mm f/2.8), however when I emailed the seller he said that the lenses have fungus in them, is it difficult to clean them?

Thanks
    Run!

You don't want to fool with fungus. If not caught early enough fungus etches the glass.

I wouldn't want the camera either. It's been stored in the same environment as the lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by James-EG View Post
    Sorry to post in here again but I didn't want to start a new thread for this small question, I found a Bronica ETRSi starting at a good price for me and it comes with two lenses (75mm f/2.8 and 105mm f/2.8), however when I emailed the seller he said that the lenses have fungus in them, is it difficult to clean them?

Thanks
    Crap! Didn't even see this post. Do NOT buy anything with fungus in it. Even if you get something that looks good on the web there is a small chance it has fungus in it. Inspect it carefully when it arrives. Bronica ETRS gear costs more to clean and repair than it does to just buy a new copy. I've checked prices at reputable place to get a Rollei SLR lens CLAed. $150 is a price I've heard multiple times. That is NOT going in and opening the lens and cleaning fungus off an element in the middle of the lens. That's going in and knocking some loose dust of some of the elements. And if the fungus etches the glass? You're screwed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post

Full detents only give me greater control. That is one of the things I always really liked about Nikon lenses. I can put the ring anywhere I want between stops without it falling into a half-stop. I have always used transparency film, and for me a quarter or third stop difference is visible. I have often figured my exposure and then given a bit more or less to get just what I want. I work by feel a lot, and it's easier to quickly click a stop or two by feel to adjust for shade or light without half-stop detents. With full stops, I can start at maximum or minimum aperture on any particular lens and know when I'm at for example 5.6 by feel, and very quickly. Not so easy when there are more detents, closer together. Half stops are pretty easy to figure out without detents, anyway.

Now that said, I use mainly Pentax in 135 format now, and most of my ETR series lenses are PE. So half-stops are something I can live with, just not what I'd rather have. It's also not as big a deal now because most of my work is more deliberate.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post

Full detents only give me greater control. That is one of the things I really liked about Nikon lenses. I can put the ring anywhere I want between stops without it falling into a half-stop. I have always used transparency film, and for me a quarter or third stop difference is visible. I have often figured my exposure and then given a bit more or less to get just what I want. I work by feel a lot, and it's easier to quickly click a stop or two by feel to adjust for shade or light without half-stop detents. With only full stop detents, I can start at maximum or minimum aperture on any particular lens and know by feel when I'm at for example, 5.6, and very quickly. Not so easy when there are more detents, closer together. Half stops are pretty easy to figure out without detents, anyway.

Now that said, I use mainly Pentax in 135 format now, and most of my ETR series lenses are PE. So half-stops are something I can live with, just not what I'd rather have. It's also not as big a deal now because most of my work is more deliberate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay thanks again for all the help! I definitely won't consider it in that case!
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Smart move, James, regarding the fungus. There are lots of good clean cameras and lenses out there.

Excuse my double post. Bug report sent.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, there's a couple more I could try and buy and there always seems to be loads of lenses about so I'll hope they don't go too expensive on the auctions!

Thanks again,
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just one more recommendation: Don't buy junk.

In my experience with ham radio and cameras, it is better to have a few higher-quality items than many that are junk.

On the other hand, I know what it's like to have a tight budget...

Shooter
    Large Format
    I purchased an ETRSi kit piece by piece through KEH, all bargain grade for about $420. Body, AE-II metered finder, Speed grip, 120 back, 75/2.8 PE lens with hood, 150/3.5 PE lens. I think it would be a good first medium format camera. My first camera was a TLR, a pretty cheap one (not a Lubitel) and it still takes great pictures.
    After that, I had purchased a Pentax 645 which is pretty much like a big 35mm camera. In my opinion that is a great camera. It is affordable used, the lenses are affordable. The metering is great, the motor winder is great. Downside was that the viewfinder was strained my eyes. I had the original 645 but have handled the 645N, I prefer the original (oddly) just because the interface is more intuitive to me.

I had a hasselblad, fit and finish were mind-blowing. It feels right in your hand, it's easy to load. The C lenses are getting old, CLA's are almost a necessity. I liked the EV numbers and the linking of the aperture/shutter dial. With all that being said, I couldn't afford a metered finder, let alone a makro planar.
    Last edited by Phillip P. Dimor; 06-08-2013 at 01:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correction

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin