Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,481   Online: 915

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    ETRSi+++++++++++

Shooter
    35mm

Medium format camera

I bought a used Rolleiflex 3.5 F about 20 years ago for around $ 700. It has the Planar lens and has a working meter. Therefore, you could probably get a Rolleiflex with a Schneider Xenotar and non working meter for less than my type. The Xenotar is supposedly just as good as the Planar. Also, since I use a hand held meter I really didn't need a working meter on the camera.
    If you want to go interchangeable lenses, the Mamiya 6's and 7's are supposedly very, very good. The price may be a little higher, though.
    Fuji also made some good MF cameras also as the 645 and I think also a 6x6.

Shooter
    35mm

Cheap MF photography

If you want to get into Med Format real cheap, Holga's can be bought new for around $ 50 or so to try it out without having a lot of money tied up. There may even be one like this with a better lens and body. Seagull used to make a 6x6 that was very reasonable, but for about the same price you could probably bet a used Yashica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
    If you want to get into Med Format real cheap, Holga's can be bought new for around $ 50 or so to try it out without having a lot of money tied up. There may even be one like this with a better lens and body. Seagull used to make a 6x6 that was very reasonable, but for about the same price you could probably bet a used Yashica.
    For $50 one can buy a real used MF camera.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by James-EG View Post

So my question is, what camera should I be looking to trying to buy? I would love to get a camera in the style of the Hasselblad cameras but obviously they are far too expensive, so I have been looking at ones like the Bronica ETRS and S2a, also the Kiev 88, these have had mixed reviews from what I have read so I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions on other cameras. I don't really want to get something like a Pentacon Six, as they work basically the same as a 35mm camera and I would like something new, but I would consider a TLR if that's the best way to go for MF. I would like to get the best possible image quality too.

Thanks, James
    Hi James! I know this is considerably after the fact but I went through the same thing just recently and got incredibly advice. Went with an RZ67. Thread here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/1...preciated.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Basically a medium format camera is not all that different than a 35mm camera. Don't be intimidated. It's easy!

Shooting 645 is definitely a step up from 35mm. If you like square then 6x6 is the way to go. If you don't like square and are going to crop then you would be better off shooting 645 in my opinion.

If you like rectangles and want the best quality then 6x7 is what you want. The disadvantage to 6x7 is the bulk and weight. Another disadvantage to 6x7 is that some 645 cameras have autofocus, matrix metering, and auto film advance etc. if you like that kind of stuff.

Buy what you like and can afford and don't worry about the critics. After all it's all about the image, right?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wow! I just answered this thread again without realizing it. I sure hope the OP has found a camera by now.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One significant, and often overlooked advantage, of the Mamiya TLRs is that they use a bellows focus. This is both an incredible blessing and a curse in that it allows ridiculous levels of close focus but the "curse" is that one needs to remember bellows factor. That being said I believe they made the right choice.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe I missed a post: WHY you want to change from 35mm to MF ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess because we ALL like large negatives.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin