Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,448   Online: 812

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hasselblad 16-S film back hacks?

Hi all,

I excitedly unpacked a dirt cheap Hasselblad back I obtained from the auction site today, only to discover that it was a dreaded 16-S back (I had thought from the pictures that it was a C12). It's really my own fault, and it was quite cheap, and the seller made no promises of a C12 back, so I don't think I am in much of a position to return.

I've heard some murmurings of modding a 16-S to function as a normal 16 (6x4.5) back. Anyone have any data on this? My searches thus far haven't led me anywhere, but I'm sure someone has tried this and I'd love to try and build on the body of knowledge if it is possible.

Follow-up question: anybody want an 16-S back?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You would have to change the film gate, it is not what I would describe as easy but it is possible.

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mask the film gate & live with wide space between frames?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Mask the film gate & live with wide space between frames?
    Won't just masking result in a much smaller negative size? I'm not really interested on wasting film shooting substantially smaller square images for a couple extra shots per roll. If I can get it to be 16 exposures of 6x4.5, say... then it would be useful. I'd obviously rather just have a c12 or a real a-16 back, but I figured it was worth a shot... the back seems to be in great condition, other than not being a useful format for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would probably work if you can get someone to machine the film gate wider, or else, swap on a film gate from an otherwise trashed 645 back (assuming you could find one).
    With the machining option, you'd lose the little rollers at the top and bottom, so the sharpness may suffer some, but possibly not enough to be a big problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jspillane View Post
    Won't just masking result in a much smaller negative size? I'm not really interested on wasting film shooting substantially smaller square images for a couple extra shots per roll. If I can get it to be 16 exposures of 6x4.5, say... then it would be useful. I'd obviously rather just have a c12 or a real a-16 back, but I figured it was worth a shot... the back seems to be in great condition, other than not being a useful format for me.
    You're right, just backward thinking on my part.

I do wonder why changing the front plate would change focus though, Does it affect the pressure plate?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Put the 16-S up for sale. There is always someone that wants one. Besides APUG try:
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Changing the front plate wouldn't change the focus, but at the top and bottom of the frame are two little rollers that keep the film flat against the pressure plate. So, if you modded the front plate withoug incorporating the rollers or something else to keep the film flat against the pressure plate there might be a sharpness issue. Swapping a 645 front plate should be feasible.
    Not sure what the pressure plate on a 16S back looks like, the one on my 645 back is rectangular.

Or, you could just make super slides, they are very impressive projected, especially when mixed in with some 35mm.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin