Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,222   Online: 942

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RZ 67 Film Back conversion

Anyone know if the Mamiya RZ 67 220 film back can be converted to 120?

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, if you have the 6x6 back, there is a pressure plate which can be pushed/slide across which will allow different lengths of film to be used. If you don't have the 6x6 back (i.e., you have a 6x7 back), you can buy a 120 insert and remove the 220 insert. While some people have not had problems using 120 film in a 220 back, I never had much success - the two times I tried it, the film wasn't straight the first time and was scratched the second time. It might work fine for you but on the auction site, you could buy an insert fairly cheaply.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are cheap enough, just get a 120 back - not worth risking bad shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a second owner NIB 220 back about 4-5 years back and I've yet to crack the box other than to inspect it when I got it.
    I got a decent price back then too.
    Guess I know why now lol.

Better stock in some Portra.

FAST

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone know if the Mamiya RZ 67 220 film back can be converted to 120?
    I've looked high-and-low for a few years...hoping to find someone publishing detailed conversion procedures.
    No Joy! As others state, buy a 120 back or a 120 insert.

Keep in mind though, original Pro inserts only work in original Pro magazines/housings.
    Original Pro backs used light seal material.

Pro II inserts only work in Pro II backs.
    Pro II backs employ a light-trap design, or remolding of the seal areas...no seals required.

No inter mixing of parts allowed between the original Pro and Pro II backs,
    except for...dark slides and plastic storage caps are the same between the two series of backs.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc B.; 06-04-2013 at 03:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the info. I will look for a 120 insert. These days 220 film is practically unavailable.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin