Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,538   Posts: 1,572,755   Online: 836

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

120 Paper markings, Acros and others.

I converted my 1A Autographic Junior to use 120 film and tried to run a roll of Acros thru it but I found no markings in my new red viewing window. I had set a new window for mid-roll frame marks based on a roll of TriX paper with a format marking down the middle. Does Acros have markings down the middle of their paper? If not what about TMax? I need a 100 speed film as my max shutter speed is 1/100; It just makes life a little easier.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know the answer to your question ( and the markings might not be spaced properly for 116 format anyway... ) but I have two of 1A Autographic Jr.s and really like them a lot. I use paper negatives and sometimes trimmed down sheet film, so always as a "1-shot". Actually, I've got a roll of Acros paper sitting on my desk, looking...

Yes there are markings in the middle, with the typical big circle, littler circle, littler circle, then the frame number.
    The circles are centered at exactly 3cm from the top of the roll, which is 3.25cm from bottom of the paper. When you hit the numbers, there are two and they cover the whole distance bewteen: 3cm from top to 3cm from bottom.

Hope that helps and have fun with your autographic. I'd love to see results if you post them somewhere we can see them!

Ned

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hmmm. Something went awry. My TriX roll is marked from 2.6 to 3.5 cm. I am using a floating pressure plate but when I opened the camera in the dark to rewind the roll it hadn't moved based on feel. Maybe I'll notch it a bit and see if that makes a difference.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One notable difference I see is that the 'number approaching' warnings (graduated circles or whatever) are vertically centered between the two center rows of numbers on Fuji, whereas Kodak and Ilford have a set of indicators for each row of numbers. Even stranger, the lower set of numbers (for 6x9) has three rows, but the indicators are only on the bottom one. If there is no warning, it wouldn't be too difficult to cruise right past the number, especially if it's not lined up accurately.

I had scanned three popular backing papers a while back as part of some other topic. It appears Fuji gives the least info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would have said Kodak gave the least info, based on your scan -- no "number coming!" circles at all. One peeve I have about the Kodak backing paper is that the 1 looks just like | -- you could sail right past it since you don't recognize it as being a number at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those are really helpful scans. Almost all my cameras do that work for me but when you need to do it yourself knowing what to expect could make a huge difference. I guess I never pay attention even though I use a lot of different kinds of B&W 120 film and develop it all at home. I'll pay closer attention from now on.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Merritt View Post
    I would have said Kodak gave the least info, based on your scan -- no "number coming!" circles at all. One peeve I have about the Kodak backing paper is that the 1 looks just like | -- you could sail right past it since you don't recognize it as being a number at all.
    Happened to me the first time I used tx400! The good news is this only happens once!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Merritt View Post
    Ah, but the inscription KODAK appears ahead of each number in all rows. Granted it's not quite as entertaining as graduated circles.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh btw, don't try to roll Fuji onto a Kodak spool. The Kodak is not wide enough and it crimps the Fuji paper. Ilfords reel is in-between. The "inside" spec's by digital caliper is Kodak: 63.01mm; Ilford: 63.04mm; Fuji 63.22mm. (your mileage may vary). I'm sure spools vary, but I'd only use the take up spool of the brand I'm shooting.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Huh. That's fascinating. I have old-style metal spools ( I think every one of them says "Kodak Film" on the end ) and for some reason I've always used those as the take-up spool and never one of the new plastic ones. No problems with Kodak, Ilford or Fuji films as the source. Something must have changed! Good to know, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin