Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,042   Online: 797

Shooter
    Medium Format

Best technique for using Circular Polarizer on Rollei?

Hey guys,

I just got my Bay II step up and poloarizer filter. It's cool that it jives with my camera. However.. what would be the best technique to use it? Putting it on viewing lens and rotating it to the darkest option, then carefully moving it to taking lens? The only thing that might be a problem is letting rotate while taking it off to move to lower. Any one a fool proof way of doing it? Oh.. I guess being the darkest point on filter is the best? been away from filter use for a while.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doesn't the circular polarizer have a position marker (dot) on the rotating part of the filter ring? If so, make note of the position before you remove it from the viewing lens... and when in place on the taking lens rotate the marker to the same position. If not, use a Sharpie marker and put an marker on it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great.. I pointed it toward computer screen and what a wierd affect.. It makes the projection completley disappear. I guess the optimal position would be at the darkest point?

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It all depends -- sometimes you don't want the highest level of polarization, or if there are multiple reflective surfaces (like a desk in an office with a glass partition) you will need to adjust the amount of polarization to the desired effect.

Try using a polarizer in bright sunlight outdoors with polarized sunglasses and watch everything go dark!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The factory polarizers for higher end old Kodak cameras had a viewing glass on the end of an arm that rotated with the polarizer over the taking lens,. You looked thru the viewing polarizer to see what the big one was doing. Kind of a cool system.

--nosmok

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just hold it over the viewing lens, and rotate till your desired effect. Once that's determined, hold the filter over the taking lens. Crude, but it works most efficiently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Circular polarizers are more suitable for cameras that have beam splitters in the focusing screen, linear ones effect the the TTL meter reading and the exposure accuracy, linear polarizers would be more suitable to use with a Rollei http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polariz..._(photography)
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-11-2013 at 11:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Circular polarizers are more suitable for cameras that have beam splitters in the focusing screen, linear ones effect the the TTL meter reading and the exposure accuracy, linear polarizers would be more suitable to use with a Rollei http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polariz..._(photography)
    P.S. the original Rolleipoll polarizer was a linear one with markings on the outer ring to help one orientate it when removing it from the viewing lens and putting it on the taking lens
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23827640@N08/3840171407
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin