Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,924   Online: 1208

Shooter
    Large Format

Focusing a hassie 50mm FLE??

I do hope my question is too ridiculous. How to focus a 50mm fle?

The hasselblad 5m f4 fle has three dials; four including focusing. Ignoring the shutter and aperture we are left with the focus ring and the floating element dial.

Is it better to set the floating element dial, estimating the distance first; then focusing? Or focusing first and then set the dial? Or I'm overthinking it! If I set the fle dial after focusing, check focus again on the ground glass?

I do appreciate people helping me out clarifying this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, a gentle chuckle. "I do hope my question is too ridiculous." makes me smile. I think you probably meant "I do hope my question is not too ridiculous."

Your question is actually not ridiculous at all.

I don't own a hassie 50mm FLE, but I do own a couple of Mamiya RB67 lenses with floating elements that require manual adjustments. I have two approaches to using the floating adjustment.

If I have the time, I follow the recommendation in the manual. I focus using the focus ring first, read the distance off the distance scale, adjust the floating element to that distance, and then check the focus again using the focus ring.

If I am pressed for time, I estimate the distance, set the floating element, and then focus using the focus ring.

On the Mamiya, the floating element is most effective at ensuring flat field performance - it is rare that you can see its effect in the viewfinder, except in the corners.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Focus first, then FLE set. That's how I use my 40/4 CF FLE.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, set the FLE first. Either by guessing the distance or by using the focussing ring. Make fine adjustments in focus afterwards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Floating Element after focusing the lens.
    The setup is made to give you a distance from the focusing scale, not the other way around.
    Kinda silly to estimate a distance and then confirm it by focusing isn't it?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just sell the lens and get another 50mm lens without the Floating Element. Then you will not have any more problems.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's good were so certain that both ways are right. :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin