Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,531   Posts: 1,543,978   Online: 1065

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mamiya Super 23, what's it worth?

Hi all,
    I know this could be a very subjective question, but I thought this would be the place to jump on and ask anyway.

I'm in the position where I may find myself needing to thin my collection out a little in the coming months. It's sad, I know, but other life pressures are staring me down... AND I broke my coffee maker!!! I'm surprised I'm still alive actually :P Anyway, I'm considering selling my old Super 23, but have no idea what it's worth, I couldn't ind many on eBay to compare it with. It's in good 'used' condition, it was a working camera, so it's got bras sing all over (black model), which personally I have liked, it makes it an interesting show piece as well as a fun user. Bellows are good as new, 6x7 back is clean and light tight, 100mm 3.5 lens needs a good clean, but no fungus, shutter is spot on all round and aperture blades move smoothly...

I used to enjoy using it for portraits, even needing a clean the lens was always pretty good. It's sat on the shelf unused for nearly three years I reckon (since the house-move before my son was born). Any thoughts what I could hope to get for it? If the hassle and heartbreak of selling it is going to be greater than any financial gain, I think I'll just keep it on the shelf, or maybe even put it back into action again, when my son is old enough to sit still for a few seconds!

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tell ya what. Join APUG as a subscriber, post it and see what you get for it.
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was a subscriber back when I was able to be more of a participating member, I'll get back there again, when I'm home long enough to be a proper part of the community. So while your answer does hold some merit for the future, it is otherwise completely useless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We'll see.
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Hi all,
    Anyway, I'm considering selling my old Super 23, but have no idea what it's worth, I couldn't ind many on eBay to compare it with. It's in good 'used' condition, it was a working camera, so it's got bras sing all over (black model), which personally I have liked, it makes it an interesting show piece as well as a fun user. Bellows are good as new, 6x7 back is clean and light tight, 100mm 3.5 lens needs a good clean, but no fungus, shutter is spot on all round and aperture blades move smoothly...
    I've been looking at getting a Uni Press for a little while now, and have seen plenty of 23s for sale. The Universal Presses are popular and fetching decent prices these days as MF polaroid bodies, but because you can't fit a pola back to the Super 23s... they aren't worth anywhere near as much.

Here is one for sale right now, $267 AUD
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mamiya-SU...0528c05&_uhb=1

Depending on condition, it might be worth $300. Maybe $350.

To be honest, I'd be keeping it. It's utility far outweighs the small amount of money you might receive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...not to mention the sentimentality! This may be highly offensive to some, but with the lovely brass showing through on the top, I have even considered taking to it with a Cape Cod Cloth and brassing the whole rangefinder to a brilliant shine... Or not...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin