Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,669   Posts: 1,481,754   Online: 937

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    Be sure to try the Puffin. They taste great.
    Are you seriously suggesting eating those cute little puffins?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting eating those cute little puffins?
    They're not nearly so cute once they've been skinned and roasted. Very tasty however.

The Puffin appetizer at http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...al_Region.html is very good. The Puffin makes a nice lead in to horse or whale for the main.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the 250 will get you out of more scrapes than a 180 will, as nice as the 180 is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went to Iceland back in 2010, GREAT PLACE!
    8x10 and 35mm were my formats of choice when I went(8x10 for "serious" work, 35mm more as a walkaround camera). I found that I used my longer lenses most of the time(on both formats).
    IIWY, I'd bring the 80mm(if you have one) as a normal FL, and a longer lens(250mm would be my choice). This is for me and MY vision however. We're all different and how we see "photographically".

****I'd also make sure to bring a 2nd body and (at least) a 2nd film back as backups, it's cheap insurance and not THAT expensive.****

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    this is hard for me because i dont' t know if i should take the "sharper" 180mm or the longer 250mm.

because i only print 8x8 inch; would it be better to use the sharper 180mm and do the enlarging on the print?!

does the less sharpness of the 250mm has an effect on 8x8 inches?!

best michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the 250 is sharper than the 180 if you have to crop it because the shot wasn't possible from a certain location.... that's my thinking. 'ergonomics' makes a HUGE difference with picture making...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the 180/4 for Hasselblad and the 250/5,6 for Rolleiflex SL66. Both are nice lenses. My 250mm is a bit soft. I haven´t done a real side-by-side comparison yet but the slides from the 180mm look sharper. I have seen Kenna shooting the 250mm in his videos though! Often together with an 2x Mutar. You can also use a 1,4 converter to turn the 180mm into a 250mm. However, the 180mm is one of the more expensive lenses and the 1,4 XE is not cheap either. 250mm CF and even CFi lenses are real bargains on the other hand nowadays.
    I doubt that there will be a striking difference if you only print 8x8". To save weight, you could even use a 150/4 or the much despised 160mm.

Concerning the wide-angle. I don´t think a 60mm would make sense if you already own the 80mm. Too close in focal length. 50mm would make more sense, maybe even 40mm or Biogon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's one of those personal preference things. I use my Mamiya 6 for hiking and find that I use the 50 most of the time, the 75 occationally and rarely do I use the 150. On days that promise to be tough going, I only take the 50 and find that I rarely miss one of the longer lenses.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    The Puffin makes a nice lead in to horse or whale for the main.
    Don't forget Seal - the puffin and Seal combination has the advantage of being able to share the same wine if you go for a lighter red. Whale and Horse tend to demand a heavier wine.

Roast Seal and a Pinot are great together.

Moving back on topic, I have never been to Iceland, but did a workshop last year and one of the other attendees was from Iceland - in looking at his portfolio there were lots of images of barren lands - if I had to choose, I would probably pack wider lenses at the expense of the longer ones.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you are packing your 80mm, I would not get a 60 - it's too close to the 80 in field of view. Get a 50 instead. If you can rent a Superwide, do that instead of buying the 50. The Hassy Superwide is one of the very best ultra-wide-angle medium format cameras out there. I periodically regret trading mine in - I loved that camera. Might pick up another one one of these days to be the wide-angle compliment to my Rolleiflexes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin