Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,621   Online: 1285

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Damn, it worked the first time, but then I edited to fix a typo and some grammar. I'll try to fix it. I think the links are working, though - they do on my end.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    Damn, it worked the first time, but then I edited to fix a typo and some grammar. I'll try to fix it. I think the links are working, though - they do on my end.
    You were probably editing things when I checked - they are working now.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, I double-checked after your post (after I'd edited), and I only saw the links as code.

I've searched in the past, and never could find the size limits for attachments - which is why I've not uploaded before. Where can I find them?
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, I double-checked after your post (after I'd edited), and I only saw the links as code.

I've searched in the past, and never could find the size limits for attachments - which is why I've not uploaded before. Where can I find them?
    When you click on the Paper Click on the "Advanced" page it takes you to a page labelled "Manage Attachments". If you scroll down that page, there is a table lower down with all the format choices, and the file size (expressed in terms of pixels).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, I just used the little picture icon. I'll check it out. I had expected something in the FAQ.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And as for your problems with focussing, I'd suggest practicing in better light until you get used to the camera.

It would be a good idea to find a subject to use for focus tests that makes it easy to tell when you are front-focussing or rear-focussing.

Something like a picket fence running from the foreground to the background.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, just checked my post again. I'd thought the software would reject something too large. Should I resample my images and replace them?
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, just checked my post again. I'd thought the software would reject something too large. Should I resample my images and replace them?
    Yes - the software resizes in a strange way (when it doesn't reject them outright).
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sorry, I'm being especially dense tonight. My images are jpg and within the limits. I was looking at the limits for jpeg. I'm a computer tech, and normally don't differentiate between jpg, jpeg and jpe.

I prefer png for web graphics, but jpg is what I got from the lab and I didn't feel like converting.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those don't look as bad as I expected from the original post---focus is placed a little forward or back of where you wanted it, but nothing I wouldn't expect from some struggles dealing with the shallow DOF of a large aperture in a large format.

It seems like that nice vertical pipe should have been an extremely easy target to focus on with the horizontal split prism, though. I wonder if you aren't shifting your posture a little bit back or forward after focusing---the kind of unsteadiness that you can get away with if there's more DOF, but in these examples it would be pretty easy to lean just a little and get this amount of shift. A heavier camera might exacerbate that; so might some little things that people tend to do while focussing, like holding their breath (don't do that).

I'm also led to compare to guitars, but I have the opposite experience from you. On the old dreadnought that I've been playing for the last 25 years, I'm a badass, or at least I can get myself into that playing space where I *feel* like a badass. When I got a really good, really responsive fingerpicking guitar, I seemingly became a much worse player, because all my bad habits were audible! Just so with focussing in larger formats---the little bit of slop that you wouldn't have noticed on a 35mm camera suddenly matters.

The largest format I've ever shot is 8x10, but I'm told that the Absurdly Large Format people---20x24 and so on---basically need to go over the ground glass, micron by micron, with a loupe, deciding *which* eyelash is going to be in critical focus. Phew.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin