Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,985   Online: 1065

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatever you're scanning with you're getting great scans. Don't change anything - just try and diagnose any focus issues, if any. MF DOF, wide-open is almost razor thin (it only gets thinner the large the format). But either way, I think that setup has great potential.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That tall pipe: if you focused accurately on the top then I would expect the bottom to be OOF because the camera is pointing slightly downwards therefore the pipe does not lie within the plane of focus. I'd not be surprised to see both the pump-head and the brick about 200mm in front of the bottom of the pipe.

Yeah, you missed the rock. It happens.

The log works very well though; I do like the blurry green foresty look.

Shooter
    35mm
    You see replacement screens advertised for Bronica cameras. Beattie made some and I believe another company did too. It is very easy to replace the screen on the SQ series, and I would expect the GS to be similar. These screens claim to give better focussing by being a stop or more brighter than the original screen. Perhaps someone here has used one and can say if it is a worthwhile investment? Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanx for the feedback.

The negatives were scanned by the lab that processed them.
    There are worse pictures (mostly worse composition and lots of magenta)... I picked the better ones that illustrated my issues with focus.
    I had focused on the pipe a bit above the middle, where the light made it easier. Then I apparently moved, so the air is probably nicely focused somewhere
    When I take a slow hand-held exposure, I focus first, then take a stance I know I can hold. Motion blur and mirror slap are different issues that I can identify and know how to deal with.

Looking back, I don't think the focusing screen is my issue (though will look into getting another to make life easier). I think my main problem is shifting my posture (even slightly) combined with not realizing how shallow the lens DOF is compared to 35mm. These will be tough as they involve a life-time of habits more than anything else.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Don't take anything slower than 1/25 or so hand held... no matter how "steady" you think you are.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a Beattie in my Hasselblad. It makes a world of difference over the original focussing screen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Searust View Post
    Don't take anything slower than 1/25 or so hand held... no matter how "steady" you think you are.
    Well, if there's really no other option, taking a flyer on a slow shutter speed might be better than making no attempt at all. But yeah, I'd say that even 1/25 is really stretching it for most people with a MF SLR.

If you're shooting in a forest, of course, every fallen stick is a potential monopod.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try setting approx focus and then shifting your body back and forth to do the fine focus. The awareness of your position inherent in focusing using your position often means good results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This reminds me a bit of an old TV commercial, which I managed to find on YouTube (sorry, lol):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plzVDDRx2Cw

My next couple rolls will be on a tripod and specifically explore the lens' DOF. Probably very boring shots down the neighbor's wooden fence. I need to learn how to use this instead of "work around" it. It will definitely improve my photography in general.
    Truzi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin