Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,491   Posts: 1,571,343   Online: 770

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Autocords - worth it and which version?

Greetings all,

having fallen out of love (again) with my Koni-Omega*, I have been on the lookout for something a bit different to add to my arsenal, without spending a mint. This time, I think I might look at a TLR for a change and being a Minolta Fanboi from way back, I have been thinking something along the lines of an Autocord.

I have had a bit of a look around and have found a bit of info (especially about breaking the focus lever and mechanism), but am after some general opinions on what to look out for with them and what Models to leave behind or seriously look at.

Any opinions out there?

Cheers

*Ahh the KO - it is such a temperamental thing. When you nail that focus, it is the best damn camera in the world...but when it goes all awry, its a piece of crap. Yes, I know it could probably benefit with a CLA, but TBH, I don't really want to over capitalize on it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From Koni-omega to Autocord. I am sure you will appreciate the lower weight.

I very much enjoy my Autocord. Got me a beater for parts and second really nice one for backup.

None of mine has a stiff lever. Of course if you have one that is 'stiff' you should get it CLA'ed. One topic few discuss is that when you load film the door swings and will hit the lever if it is not positioned at either extreme of its range.

But, you only asked about models. I choose the 1965 Citizen shutters. Some like older models with a tad more rounded aperture blades, but I have no experience on that. No one speaks highly of the light meter some models have.

Best, common advice for old cameras: Condition matters more than a specific model. Especially with the Autocord that the lens design has no modifications among the models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Hoffy;

From among the different models of the Minolta TLR Autocord, which one? Actually, just about any of them, although I prefer the simplicity of the first version where there is less to go awry. The later versions with the light meter and everything are fine, even if those things do not work. The basic operation of the camera and lens will continue to function and you can still take nice photographs. Yes, the admonitions about the focusing lever are valid. If it begins to get hard to move, or sticks and locks up, do not push harder and try to force it. Take it to a camera tech for a CLA. Otherwise, it will need a repair using parts that are now harder to find, in addition to that CLA.

Even the competing models in the Yashica 124 series will work fine. If the choice is made to go for the Franke und Heidecke Rolliecord (or perhaps the Rollieflex with the f:2.8 lens), you know that it will work very well, although even they will need a CLA at some point, as will all of our cameras that are over 40 years old now. While I know that they are out there, I have no experience with the LOMO Lubitel, but there are many who like them also and are very satisfied with the photographs they get from them. The 120 size negative is rather forgiving and woks well with just about any camera, including the Koni-Omega Rapid-M.

Yes, I have the K-O also, along with three lenses for them. A fast camera to use, and I still enjoy the sound they make when you advance the film with the pull-push plunger on the magazine back.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks guys,

Any idea of what price to pay for one? I did have a look at KEH and they had an Ugly rated one for $100, but I have seen then on the evil auction site for up to $400 (discounting the one that was on there for $2K the other day). Would around the $200 region be a fair price for one in reasonable condition?

As for the K-O, it will still remain in the cupboard and will still get used…maybe

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Hoffy;

It is very difficult to advise someone else on the value to place on a camera. You may have noticed that I did not respond to your inquiry about that part. Yes, I did pay a fairly low amount for my Miinolta Autocord (original version) at less than $100 USD, but it also had a stuck focusing lever, and the Repair and CLA for restoring it to full normal operation added another $250 USD or so to it, for a total of just a little over $300 USD, but I did want that camera, and I wanted it working. For me, it is a welcome addition to the Minolta cameras that are here. Please note that it is, however, the only Minolta TLR that I have. I have not succumbed to the Force of GAS with the TLR.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Ralph,

yes, I know it is always a bit of a challenging question and I always seem to be the one who ends up paying a premium, while everyone gets bargains!

I might put a wanted ad in - I always like to see if any trusted member of the APUG community has one for sale.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Yashica 124G is pretty darn good.
    But you didn't ask about the yashica did you?

Haha, had to rib you ther Hoff cuz you dissed (j/k) the MIGHTY KO!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Now, now, the mightly KO is still a mighty camera - but for me its kind of like that girl you have chased all those years ago - the one you finally got a date with and had a couple of damn good nights with ( ), but in the back of your mind you just know you haven't made that connection.

As for the Yashica - yes, I did have a look and I did feel the temptation, but I do have a bit of a funny criteria for this camera - The camera I am after must be pre 1967. Why? Because I have been using camera's such as these at a few rod shows where the cars need to be pre 67 (or based on a pre 67 car) that I thought I would find a camera that meets that criteria.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first tlr was the Ricoh Diacord L, in appearance they look just like the Minolta, not sure of lens. The Ricoh was a great camera and I loved the results. Since then I have got a Yashica A and a Rolleicord III. Comparing the negatives and photos from all three cameras if not marked I could not tell the difference. Hope this might be of some help.

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks David,

I am aware of the Ricoh's and would say that if I found one at the right price, that would also be an option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin