Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,119   Online: 757

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No wash before scan. Extravagent and precious.
    Just swipe with anti-static cloth (e.g. Ilford's).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    PecPads are like dust magnets. I use them before printing negs in the darkroom, before scanning negs, and I even use them to clean my sensor. Take two, keep them in a separate bag and use them over and over. Nothing grabs dust better than PecPads!
    Really? I gotta do some testing now! Wish I wasn't on the road working.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am about 10% through a project of scanning every colour neg I have made since 1979. I use a branded film cleaning solution (mainly isopropyl alcohol) and pec pads. A wet pad and a dry pad which I replace after every 4 or 5 pages.
    Clean with the wet pad and a dab of solution followed by a dry pad wipe down. The before and after is quite noticeable on 30 year old colour negs which have been kept in sleeves in a mostly clean and dry cupboard. It is also evident that colour negs will not last forever and some labs and films are/were much better than others!
    I also tend to inherit all the old family B&W negs. For some (e.g. roll-your-own, chain-smoking grandfather) I have soaked and washed in a mild detergent rubbing gently with a pec pad and then rinsed in washaid, dried and finished finally with the process above. Was successful in removing specs of tobacco and other unidentified dirt from some of the worst affected.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    PecPads are like dust magnets. I use them before printing negs in the darkroom, before scanning negs, and I even use them to clean my sensor. Take two, keep them in a separate bag and use them over and over. Nothing grabs dust better than PecPads!
    Yep PEC pads are awesome. I use them with naphtha for cleaning lenses, scanner glass, and negatives. Best thing ever.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow, the Pec pads sound ace. About £10 here in the UK for 100. I think I'll buy some for a rainy day!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think removing dust spots from scans is a way of life if you scan film. A puff of compressed air and careful use of an anti-static brush will help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, gotta try these PEC pads out for myself! Now that I think of it, I think I got some with my light seal kit that I never used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I think removing dust spots from scans is a way of life if you scan film. A puff of compressed air and careful use of an anti-static brush will help.
    And 2 hours with the despotting tool in Photochop before you send the file for printing. Nothing, nothing at all will ever replace this singularly critical point in the process: to de-spot the image at 400%.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dude! If you're spending two hours spotting a digital image you're either not doing it right or else you're OCD.
    It shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes to do a basic spotting job. An hour if you're being picky.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Dude! If you're spending two hours spotting a digital image you're either not doing it right or else you're OCD.
    It shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes to do a basic spotting job. An hour if you're being picky.
    Yep, agreed. Also, 30 seconds of more ample cleaning would probably save an hour of time. Prep, prep, prep, nothing new there.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin