Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,523   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Scanning negatives - Wash before scan?

Hi all,

I've got a build up of rolls of BW negatives, and I've just bought an Epson V500.

I just wondered, before I cut up the negatives into strips of 4, should I do a quick wash on the negatives to get any dust off? I don't yet have any film holder wallets, so I've been storing the rolls inside empty developing tanks for now.

So are there any recommendations before scanning? Due to my poor storage of the rolls, I imagine there's going to be a lot of curl on the negatives

Thanks so much for all advice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, just use a few puffs of canned air. Do the same as you would if you were putting them into an enlarger.

Do get some proper film storage supplies! http://www.printfile.com/35mm-negative-pages.aspx
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, you're about to enter the world of scanning negatives. You're about to enter a world of pain.

keep the place clean and free of dust
    cover the scanner with a non static thingy
    keep your negatives clean storage sheets
    watch out for gaseous discharge that tends to fog the inside of V series scanners
    consider betterscanning ANR scanning holders
    architect some kind of archival storage system, digital contacts are probably not a bad idea either.

Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only you can answer that question. If you developed, washed and dried the film in a clean environment I don't see why storing film in a developing tank would make it more dusty. I would think it would be the opposite since it is a sealed container. If there was no dust in there when put the film in there will be none now. Rewashing film creates new opportunities to screw up your negatives. I wouldn't do it unless I was getting rid of water marks or something like that that won't come of with some canned air.

Ghostman is right. No matter how meticulous you are you will have dust specks that show up on your scanned negative. Before I scan I wipe all my work surfaces and the outside of my scanner down with a damp sponge. Be sure to stock up on canned air and get a soft lense cleaning brush or similar to knock dust off your negatives. Sometimes canned air doesn't quite get the job done. Don't be annoyed if there are a few small dust spots. They are unavoidable. After scanning you will need to allot some time for a healing brush PS session.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the tips guys! Definately need to invest in some storage wallets. I need organisation!

Well...I've cut off the first four frames and just done a scan. Digital ICE did something really weird.. (see attachment). I assume that was it's attempt to remove dust.
    So I've turned off ICE and this time it came out okay.

I'm certainly going to keep an eye out for a BetterScanning holder being sold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img005-ice.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ooooooo!! I've just opened the scan in photoshop. The definition is quite impressive for a 2400 dpi scan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djs88 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips guys! Definately need to invest in some storage wallets. I need organisation!

Well...I've cut off the first four frames and just done a scan. Digital ICE did something really weird.. (see attachment). I assume that was it's attempt to remove dust.
    So I've turned off ICE and this time it came out okay.

I'm certainly going to keep an eye out for a BetterScanning holder being sold.
    Turn off all auto correcting/Dust removal/sharpening on ICE. Silverfast have a pretty good forum BTW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dust them off with air or antistatic brush. Only re-wash them if you can't get the grime off without a soak.

When they are clean (and dry) put them into printfile pages and they will be flat in them.

The details of scanning are verboten on the forum, but keep the scanning area clean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the silverfast forum recommendation. I'll check that out.
    One more question. What would be the best way to attempt to recover a really really overexposed negative? Is everything done with the exposure controls in Epson? Or is Silverfast the better option for having more control over the scans?
    Last edited by djs88; 06-18-2013 at 08:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Digital ICE is not for black and white, silver halide negative. Only for color and chromogenic black and white. Turn it off.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin