Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,941   Posts: 1,585,702   Online: 1076

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    I don't think the Pentax 67 is awkward at all to hold at eye level. Heavy with a 105/2.4, to be sure...but not awkward. I have large hands, so it fits me more like a 35mm fits most average sized hands.

Just picked up a Hassy and it's alright. I haven't warmed to it like I did the Pentax, which happened almost instantly. Shutter isn't loud enough, at least that's my first guess at what is wrong.

The Pentax 67, by size alone, is very awkward to hold amongst people with small hands and/or chubby fingers (I know some who use an overside soft-shutter release button), and there are millions of such people. It certainly has a loud enough shutter/mirror whack, but you can get around the noise by getting a MUP body, which "spaces out" the noise. I had the chance to use a Hasselblad 500CM many years ago, when my hands were even smaller; it was unsatisfactory for me at the time; now though such a body fits me quite nicely, only that the format is something I would get tired of. Horses for courses...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like the 45 degree finder on the Hassy. I prefer it over the waist level finder for everything except weight and bulk. It's nice to be able to shoot without the camera held so it covers your face. That's one feature of the Hassy that I like over the 35mm and Pentax SLRs. Seems that shooting this way keeps you less isolated from your subject (not an issue for landscape, but nice for people shots). Also by looking down people on the street don't seem to think your taking their picture as much, even when the lens is pointed right at them.

Have you considered a fixed lens Fuji rangefinder like the 670 or 690 (GW or GSW)? These are big cameras but very easy to shoot with at eye level, and because they are leaf shutters in lenses and not giant focal plane, it's easy to get steady, sharp images. I had a Pentax 67 and sold it after 3 months of use -- just too much mirror slap for me, but YMMV. Also, there are loads of Fujis on the market and you can buy a very nice one for $400-$500.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    I like the 45 degree finder on the Hassy.
    +1 - I shoot mostly LF, and grab the Hassy for when I want to handhold- I find the 45degree finder quite comfortable, and helps to position the camera a little below eye-level, which is a perspective that I like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I do not own a Pentax 67 I can comment about the Hasselblad. My 501C/M with the PM5 (non metered, 45 degree finder) is pretty nice. Like the poster above said, it sits slightly below eye level which allows you to hold the camera steadier in my opinion since you are slightly crouching down. I must say it isn't as easy to focus as my RZ67 though, not sure how the Pentax holds up to the Hasselblad in this situation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 501CM and the PME5 metered finder. It's heavy if you are going to pack it around for any length of time but I really like to use it handheld.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't find the P67 awkward at all to shoot at eye level which is 80% of the time how I shoot it. If you have not held and fired some dry frames through each camera, I'd go do that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pentax 67 + 90mm f2.8 (I prefer wider than the 105mm...)
    The 90mm f2.8 would be better for its tiny size — it really is a treat; I'm looking for one. There are bigger brutes in the lens line up, with superior optics. The 90mm and 105mm are average by many real-world standards. And the difference between 90mm and 105 is very, very slight. Both lenses focus easier than the several f4 to f4.5 versions in low light. This should be borne in mind if you use a polariser or deep red filter.

At the end of the day the format should be the deciding factor. With the Hassy, 6x6 is all you have; the P67 will allow you versatility to crop whatever you please.

PS: Invest in an eyecup if the P67 has a TTL prism meter. The moment you remove your eye from the prism the reading will bounce; there is no AEL (this is an old skool clunker, remember?).

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for the many suggestions and advice.

Well I'm taking it easy and spending more time thinking about my "needs" (I just have GAS, really).

I have a few Rolleiflex's and I sometimes want something else but I feel that the gain of adding an additional MF camera is so little since I don't highly desire backs and other focal lengths. I think I'll pass for now. It looks like both are suitable for my purposes but it comes down to the other factors outside of the ergonomics.

If I were to get either today then it would be a toss up. I think both would be great but at the end of the day, Hasselblad is a better system IMO.
    Last edited by puketronic; 06-20-2013 at 01:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Used them both: Pentax 67 hands down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin