Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,727   Online: 809

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Watch.. I bet someone out here will come up with a more affortable version. It takes some one to take the first step to make it happen.

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For the 2.8F, I do not find the case all that awkward, easy enough to remove when reloading. The older models are a different story. I still have a case for them, because if I had n't, I'd want a lens cap or UV filter to protect the lens.
    No matter how good Luigi is, these prices are absurd. I paid far less for my Rollei originals which are solid (it is worth checking that), and otherwise, a local leather repair service may be all you need for a fraction of the price.

That said, I tend to keep mine in a Retrospective 20 bag: one B&W, one colour, meter in between. A case is not really necessary then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have nothing to do with Luigi and do not own any of his cases.

However, the remark "these prices are absurd" is interesting to examine.

I would estimate that such a case takes probably a day to make, maybe 2. Anyone know better? Also included in this day is the administrative work to collect orders, maintain site, answer questions, ship orders.

From that Euro480 (the price on his own web site), deduct the costs:-
    €30-50 for leather and suede
    €20 for PayPal charges
    €80 per day for Rental value for a workshop/office in Rome
    €?? for cost of tooling - but anyone who has a workshop knows how much good tools are compared to cheap ones and how much effort is required to maintain the tools.

Estimate €150 or so deduction from his price, which means he makes €330 for a days work, before all taxes, insurances, etc. (which are significant in Europe).

An IT professional in Rome (with experience) charges around €700 per day, so in my opinion Luigi's charge is not an excessive number - even if he were to make 2 in a day.

The only question is - do you want to pay this price for this case? That is upto you for your perceived "value" of this case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a Rollei owner and have no axe to grind, but how much do you think the original Rollie cases would cost today new if they were still made today ?, and these are a hand made Italian leather luxury products for people to whom the quality is more important than the financial cost, people who don't wish to pay the price can always buy one of the original Rollei ones on an auction site.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope he finds sufficient buyers to whom the quality is more important than the financial cost. Luigi seems like a real craftsman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I hope he finds sufficient buyers to whom the quality is more important than the financial cost. Luigi seems like a real craftsman.
    Yes, the cases look gorgeous. The world of craftsmen and craftsmanship has changed considerably since the Rolleis were a standard item.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I'm not a Rollei owner and have no axe to grind, but how much do you think the original Rollie cases would cost today new if they were still made today ?, and these are a hand made Italian leather luxury products for people to whom the quality is more important than the financial cost, people who don't wish to pay the price can always buy one of the original Rollei ones on an auction site.
    Rollei cases are still made and available new today... $344.00

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Rollei cases are still made and available new today... $344.00

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
    I knew that Dennis, the point I was trying to make although I admit I wouldn't personally pay this price, the market for Luigi's hand crafted luxury products are people to whom price isn't the primary concern, but craftsmanship and quality who are willing to pay a premium for something that's out of the ordinary.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They sure are a beautiful cases and would diffently jazz up your vintage camera.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Fully agreed Ben. I rarely use a case as I prefer to use my camera than mollycoddle it. Most cameras look better 'commando' than wrapped up anyway

My point was that this is not an unreasonable amount for him to charge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin