Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,975   Online: 922

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad 80mm Planar C T* - Repair or replace?

My Planar finally gave up the ghost yesterday. It was already suffering from a broken DOF preview tab and a pretty big speck of something between the elements (never noticed anything in the images from it, but I still didn't like seeing it in there). Now the shutter is busted.

I'm extremely weary of dealing with faulty equipment, so my first requirement in is that its refurb'd incarnation or its replacement be in E or better condition (mechanically and optically flawless, with some light signs of usage). So repairing it would involve fixing the shutter, removing the dust speck, replacing the DOP preview tab, and a CLA. Looks like it should cost around $550 to buy a replacement C or CF T* (either of which would be fine with me) in that condition.

My question: will it be more prudent to a) replace it, or b) have it repaired, and if b), who would you recommend for the work?

On a side note, I'm a web developer by trade, so if any of you technicians out there would consider trading labor for labor, or if someone has a spare lying around and wants to take my current lens for parts as part of the deal, let me know. Basically I'm interested in any options that reduce my cash out pocket.

Thanks,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a guess, you could probably get it repaired for less than 550, although much depends on what's actually wrong with the shutter.
    David Odess is the usual recommendation but there are others, since you are "out west" Samy's in L.A. might be a good alternative for slightly less transit time.
    FWIW I sent a 80 C T* to David for a CLA, he got it back to me in reasonable time, and it has worked well ever since. His basic CLA price is quoted on his website at $195 + parts, if that helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also out west - Steve Choi, authrized Hasselbald repair: Stev's Camera Repair, Culver City, CA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike at Samys Camera on Fairfax in Los Angeles.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the sound of it, your lens is beyond needing a simple CLA. Your lens has a major overhaul in it's future. Which is a good thing because it's possible that it's never bern serviced when the lens is overhauled, it won't need to be worked on again for years. Send the lens to Hasselblad in New Jersey.

I would spend money on having your lens repaired rather than going out and buying another one that might need repairs in a short amount of time, thus not only are you out the cost of the lens, but the repair cost as well. Hasselblad service will guarantee your lens for six months after the service.

David Odess also does good work (he was trained by Hasselblad) and will also guarantee any work done for six months.

Good luck! Let us know how your lens repair works out.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Depending on what's wrong with the shutter, there are no more spares from the factory for certain components. I would send it to an independent repair person to get a quote, but plan on getting another, newer CF lens instead of the C.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Depending on what's wrong with the shutter, there are no more spares from the factory for certain components. I would send it to an independent repair person to get a quote, but plan on getting another, newer CF lens instead of the C.
    It is true that many spares are no longer available however the situation is not nearly so bad. Many of the parts for the CF range are interchangeable with the C lenses, it's evolution after all. Furthermore many old parts are still in stock but what has come to an end are mainsprings and flash contacts. But there is always an alternative solution.
    Don't write off the lens if the optics are good and the structure of the lens is sound!

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's why I said get an independent repair person quote for fixing it. We here in internetland don't know what's wrong with the lens - it could be any number of things that could be repaired cheaply (cheap being a relative term on a Hasselblad repair), or it could be one of those components that no longer has parts. Don't send it to Hasselblad themselves - their repair service is very expensive, and they are also more likely to write it off as beyond repair, whereas an independent repair shop may have another similar lens that can be cannibalized. But I don't think it's imprudent to start planning for a CF lens purchase either - depending on what's wrong with the C lens, the cost of repair may be equal to or even more expensive than a CF lens, which has a more durable shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the operative phrase in your post said "Gave up the ghost". Look at it this way: It's been loyal to you, produced great images and now it's tired. It deserves to rest comfortably, perhaps without heroics at life-saving to improve it's longevity not necessarily the quality of it's life.

Assuming you go into sticker shock if you get an estimate on fixing this and want to replace it with a newer CF-T lens, take a look at keh.com. They offer trade-ins, provide longer warranties on used eq. these days, and are a really reputable outfit as opposed to say E-Bay when (unfortunately) you don't always know what you're getting. Dave Odess gets about $200 bucks to CLA a lens. That's without parts and about 1/2 the cost of a newer 80mm CF-T.

often it just comes down to a cost benefit analysis.
    Take it light.
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin