Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,720   Posts: 1,670,043   Online: 962

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not only are they inexpensive these days, but they work just as well as they did when they were more expensive.

Images
    Y'all got a funny definition of cheap. But that is just my bank account talking.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rashrader
    Not only are they inexpensive these days, but they work just as well as they did when they were more expensive.

True words! I`ve been enjoying my first two weeks with my 500 C/M +80mm T* ($660 eBay) so much I can`t describe it! I got a 150mm/4 T*($400) a couple of days ago and I`m developing the first film with it now.

A SWC is on my "to get" list too......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree. I got away from medium format(actual serious photography for about 10 years). I just bought a 500CM (1982) and a 501CM (1999). PME prism,PME-90 prism. Mew waist level finder, 80 CF and had it CLA'd by hasselblad,a 160CB,2x Zeiss Mutar and 4 A12 magazines. All equipment is in near mint condition and at most spent 45 cents on the dollar opposed to new equipment. I use a small digitial point and shoot on occasion,but to be honest I am not at all interested in sitting in front of the computer manipulating images that with good equipment and proper technique would be perfect in the first place. I got rid of my Nikon gear-all the glass as well as an F4S and an F100 and I don't miss them a bit. I've had enough computer problems to know I will not trust my cherished images to cyberspace. If I wanted to play video games I'll get a play station. Nothing beats viewing extachrome on a light table. Photoshop is blasphemy.
    As long as there are those that buy film,shoot film and process film -there will always be film. Don't believe the myth that film is dead or dying.

Shooter
    Multi Format

THANKS, DIGITAL!!!

Thanks to the current digital hysteria, just about anything that you can put film in and stick a lens on has become unbelievably affordable on the used market. The most crazy example I saw was a used Contax 645 with 3 lenses, all items like new, priced at 40% of the new price!!! I couldn't believe it!!

I picked up a clean Mamiya 7II, with like new 43mm, 80mm and 150mm lenses for about half the cost of new, thanks to the digital "revolution."

Nikon F3hp bodies - $1300 new, can be had for $600 in minty new condition!

Thanks, digital!!!
    "My idea of a good life is that I wake up in the morning, go out and look around and make four rolls of film a day." - Josef Koudelka

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas

"Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times…I just shoot at what interests me at that moment." – Elliott Erwitt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    The best deal out there for a 6x6 ultrawide is a Bronica S- or EC-series with the Nikkor 40/4.0. The camera is built around this lens, and it's one of the best lenses in the classic Bronica lineup.
    Never seen this. Is this like a Bronica equivalent to the SWC? Got any links?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's a picture with the Nikkor/Bronica 40/4.0 that I've posted before--

And here's some info on classic Bronica lenses including this one--

http://medfmt.8k.com/bronlens.html

It's more like the Bronica equivalent to the Zeiss 40mm Distagon of its era, but it has less retrofocus distance to overcome than the Distagon, because the lens can protrude into the mirror box of a Bronica, thanks to the falling-mirror design.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The S- and EC- series Bronicas have the strangest mirror design I've ever heard of on a medium format SLR; the S mirror goes down and forward and two light traps block off the viewfinder and the mirror, and the EC has a split mirror (the two halves of which apparently have a tendency to fall out of true with one another that is very difficult to fix). The whole point of this is that lenses don't have to be as retrofocus to work. I don't have the 40, only the 50, and it's a very nice lens, very sharp, little distortion. The 75 fits down the belly of the beast and hardly protrudes at all.

The S series are also the loudest cameras I've ever heard, and I include motor driven cameras in this; I nearly dropped mine the first time I heard the shutter go and I had been warned. Subtlety is impossible. I hear the reason the split-mirror design was used in the EC- was to quiet the thing down some.

The mirror was not the only odd design feature on those cameras--I am particularly amused by the detachable focusing helicoid, the extra 58x1mm lens mount, and the incredible disintegrating ground glass spacing foam--but it was one of the more important, optically.

So now that I've told you why they're neat, here's one reason not to get them: qualified mechanics are few and far between. In all of the US, the only mechanic I know of is Frank Marshman, and he's very good and fixed mine up real nice when I discovered that my ground glass foam had disintegrated and also that the mirror assembly was sticking.

On the other hand, if you're willing to get it cleaned, you can usually figure on getting a good S2 kit for the price of a Hasselblad lens; I think my body + 75 + back was less than the cost of a Hassy back. That was about a year ago, so things may no longer be so attractive. Although with Bronica killing the SQ and ETR, it may actually be more attractive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Frank is great, and he's fixed all my Bronica stuff, but he's not the only one. Koh's Camera on Long Island also specializes in Bronica www.kohscamera.com. I think that some of the other guys who work on old cameras also can handle Bronicas but may not have quite the store of parts that Frank and Koh's have.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had the bug for a while, bodies and backs are cheap, lenses can be too, if you buy them broken, and have them fixed by a good shop. I ended up with 2-ELM's, 2-500CM"s (One numbered and signed by Dr. Hasselblad) and the matching beat-up black T* lenses from 50mm to 350mm, the complete set from the '70s.

-Cheap, and about as good as you can get

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin