Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,697   Online: 836

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Here's a picture with the Nikkor/Bronica 40/4.0 that I've posted before--

And here's some info on classic Bronica lenses including this one--

http://medfmt.8k.com/bronlens.html

It's more like the Bronica equivalent to the Zeiss 40mm Distagon of its era, but it has less retrofocus distance to overcome than the Distagon, because the lens can protrude into the mirror box of a Bronica, thanks to the falling-mirror design.
    I agree with David. These lenses are just amazing for the money! I just got a mint 40mm Nikkor for my S2a for $549. The lens still had its serial # tags on the lens cap. Not a mark on it. Sharp as a tack. I did not think anything could beat my 50mm Nikkor but this really is an amazing lens. The only draw back I have found is the odd 90mm filter size but SK Grimes is making me a step up adapter as we speak 90mm to 95mm so I can use normal 95mm filters.
    Keep Film Alive, Shoot Everyday!
    JamiesInfraredPhotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a wide angle fan, and I've pondered either the 47XL for 4x5, the SWC, the 40mm Distagon for my Hassy 500 c/m, or a Mamiya 7 / 43.

But now my heart is set on getting a Noblex 150. It's comparably priced to these options, and it has by far the widest angle of view short of a fisheye (what like 135 degrees with no distortion on a 6x12 frame).
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    there is also the 38mm xl or the Grandagon 35mm and a sinar zoom rfh on a 4x5 that will allow for all of the above but won't be hand-holdable like the mamiya or as manageble as the slrs and swc.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As an aside, Zeiss's own tests indicate that the 38/4.5 Biogon is a lot sharper on an Alpa than on an SWC when hand held because the SWC is awkward to hold and has a less ergonomic shutter release (easier to twitch the camera).

There's also the possibility of buying ex-government Biogons and building/adapting your own wide-angle around 'em. Pay very great attention to film flatness, though, as depth of focus is pretty tiny.

Alpa-fit Biogons are another matter: Alpa told me a couple of days ago that the most recent Biogon to change hands on e-bay went for $15,000, and that a few months before, one in Moscow fetched $12,000. That REALLY makes Hasselblads look cheap.
    Last edited by Roger Hicks; 08-29-2007 at 03:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    ... by far the widest angle of view short of a fisheye (what like 135 degrees with no distortion on a 6x12 frame).
    Dear Paul,

For a given value of 'no distortion', because you still get that bellying-out effect in the plane of rotation of the lens.

And of course you can get a still wider angle of view with a Roundshot: over 360 degrees, in a sense, if you let the camera spin more than once.

For conventional wides, Frances is very fond of her 35/5.6 Apo-Grandagon and a 6x9cm back on her Alpa 12 S/WA. Beats 43 on 6x7!

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess that's true about the Noblex, but it's a good tradeoff in my mind.

As much as I love wide angle shooting, the extreme stretching at the periphery of rectilinear wides can get ugly as you flatten a curved field.
    Paul

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    I guess that's true about the Noblex, but it's a good tradeoff in my mind.

As much as I love wide angle shooting, the extreme stretching at the periphery of rectilinear wides can get ugly as you flatten a curved field.
    I can never decide which I like less, but I think it's probably swing-lens. Then again. I have a lot more practice at shooting fixed-lens wides, down to 12mm on 35mm, 35mm on 6x9, 47mm on 4x5, 110mm on 8x10...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cheap 'Blads, huh? Now, if the dag gone SWC would drop like a rock I'd be all over that!
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When the professionals saw the Digital stuff I think they went a bit nuts.

I bought my Hasselblad stuff from a pro photographer that took on 2 new Nikon Digital cameras and lenses to replace his very nice 501cm, some lenses and a SWC.

He couldn't wait to see the last of his Hasselblad stuff. He sold this set up to me for very little. It had been sitting around a while so a CLA was in order, particularly for the SWC.

If I were in his place wouldn't have gotten rid of this system.

It seems to me that he could have bought a lot of film, for the difference between the cost of my new Hassy system and his new digital system. But I'm not a wedding photographer so I can only guess at the reasons.

Yes there is some fantastic electronics all wrapped up in black Tupperwear containers. The stuff has a shelf life of just a few short years, is very expensive to repair (when it is repairable) and uses complex menus that confuses the dickens out of most of us. But the stuff is a very shiny new toy, one day, to be abandoned like old toys, another day. We can benefit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is my Hasselblad Price & Info Guide

http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/hassy.htm
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin