Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,633   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a couple of other things you might consider.
    You'd know if the lab was having a light leak if you just ask them. If that was the case you probably wouldn't be the only one asking about it. Meantime, send a roll to another lab and double check.

Film tensioning at the end of the roll and leaking around the last frame? I doubt that. 120 film has a paper backling throughout the roll unlike 220 film that only has it on the front end and the back end.
    Seems that if you had a tensioning problem you'd likely have flatness/focus issues on the rest of the roll that would get worse towards the final frames as the take-up spool collected more film and it was so loose that the pressure plate couldn't keep it flat. I think that light leaks from failing to tension up the film after downloading produce far less consistent results then what you have here.

Finally, try unloading the camera in a darkroom or light tent. If the finished negs/slides show light leak, then it ain't your technique but that would point me to the camera and how snug the film is being wound. Seems like you've covered all the other bases except one:

As the take-up spool thickens towards the end of the roll, is it twisting the take-up and pushing against the camera back? Check the spool alignment. You can take a test roll and watch it run through the camera paying close attention to what happens to the spool as it gathers up the last frames of the film. That might be a worn gearing problem.

Take it errrrrrrrrrrr. "light"
    Mark.
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Feldstein; 06-27-2013 at 12:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent plan. If they are both bad, it is likely the lab. Hasselblads wind things tight in my experience and are easy to remove from the insert without any unwinding. If it is only the Rollei, I'd guess that the roll is loose. I can't imagine a light leak happening on just the last frame
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am having almost the same exact issue with my Rolleicord Va. Always the 12th frame. But the ghosting appears more in the center of the frame than on the edges. This has happened at labs and when I develop my own. Always the same spot. Used to happen infrequently, now it happens on every roll.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    I am having almost the same exact issue with my Rolleicord Va. Always the 12th frame. But the ghosting appears more in the center of the frame than on the edges. This has happened at labs and when I develop my own. Always the same spot. Used to happen infrequently, now it happens on every roll.
    If it's happening now on every roll then do this test.........................load the roll and remove the roll in total darkness and see if the light-leak ends. I'd be willing to bet it will be gone. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    If it's happening now on every roll then do this test.........................load the roll and remove the roll in total darkness and see if the light-leak ends. I'd be willing to bet it will be gone. JohnW
    OK. I will try that. What do you think the problem is? Not a very practical long term solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    OK. I will try that. What do you think the problem is? Not a very practical long term solution.
    Where is the arrow on the film backing when you first load the film and close the back door of the camera?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Where is the arrow on the film backing when you first load the film and close the back door of the camera?

Pointing right at the little marks where it is supposed to. I have the manual for it, so I think I'm doing everything right. I am willing to send it in for repair, I'm just not sure anyone will figure out what to fix. I sent a note to Mark Hansen about it. Fleenor would charge more than the thing is worth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin