Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,927   Online: 994

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Light leaks on Rolleiflex 3.5E

Recently I've noticed problems on the final (12th) frames of rolls run through my Rolleiflex 3.5E. What could be causing this? No issues with the first 11 frames of each roll, and also it didn't use to do this -- it's only on the last few rolls I've shot. Am I screwing up when I unload the film? I'm having the films developed and scanned at Precision Camera in Austin and I find it hard to believe that they'd be messing up. Far more likely that it's me and/or the camera. Thank you for your consideration. Joel Brouwer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65830001.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	437.6 KB 
ID:	70741

Name:	65840001.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	416.5 KB 
ID:	70742

Shooter
    Medium Format

A third example

Name:	63470001.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	536.0 KB 
ID:	70743

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This may be a little difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. Looks to be a light leak in the camera. Odd that it doesn't show on the other 11 frames. How straight/square is the camera back? Rollei backs can be bent in use and you won't notice it. Why the 12th frame only, could be that since it is the tightest wound part on the roll it has enough spring to cause a light leak, older/outdated film can get quite springy. Have you opened the back and dry-fired the shutter to look for leaks. If you still can't find the source then a trip to the repairman is in order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, it could be the exposed roll isn't wound tight enough when you take it out of the camera therefore letting light leak in around the paper.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My opinion is the fact that it only happens on the last frame rules out a light leak in the camera. I am guessing the first thing you thought of was the loose roll so that probably isn't it. I don't know how labs load processing machines these day but some years ago I found a lab that did fog the last frame on every roll by something they had to do to load the roll. I would check with them even though you think they are beyond the error. It might be that they have to unroll the roll a certain amount in the process and they are unrolling it a bit too far allowing the frame nearest the outside to get a bit of light.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My thanks for your replies. I don't think I'm letting light in but maybe I am. I just sent the lab two rolls, one from the Rollei and one from my Hasselblad. If they both come back with light stains on the last frame, we'll know it's not the Rollei's fault, and that it's either my own fault or the lab's. Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had this problem and that was because of loose winding after finish shooting. :-( My case was even worse...

Film: Fomapan 400.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Unload your film in a dark closet or changing bag. Seal it tight in the dark.

If the problem doesn't go away, I'd guess it is the lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by randyB View Post
    Also, it could be the exposed roll isn't wound tight enough when you take it out of the camera therefore letting light leak in around the paper.
    Yup. That's my vote.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK y'all, seems maybe I've gotten sloppy is the consensus! I'll be super careful next time and we'll see. Thanks so much for your time. jb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin