Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,906   Posts: 1,555,861   Online: 907

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Fuji GX 680 120 film in 220 cassette

Hi,

I am the happy owner of a Fuji gx 680 III and I have an extra 220 cassette.
    I am wondering if it is possible to use a 120 film in this cassette or not ?
    I didn't manage to find any reliable information about this.

Thank you.

Bockovk.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wellcome to Apug.

What do you mean by "220 cassette"?

A cassette would be an enclosed container. Type 120 and type 220 film are just wound on a spool, self-enclosed by their backing paper resp. leader paper.

EDIT: now I realized that you refer to the film magazine or back. That part of ther camera.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-28-2013 at 04:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I assume they mean "film insert". I believe it depends on which model of film back you have.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Without having such a magazine, there are basically two issues I would think of.

-) pressure plate (thickness of film channel/tension)

-) frame spacing / frame counter (measured by advance/ by spool rotation)

One could check the residual way the spring loading of the pressure plate yields without any film and with bare and paper-backed film and compare these.

But more telling would be just to run a film through and look for scratching on the base- and emulsion side. Best even compared to a type 220 film tun through. A uniform exposure for neutral density might reveal any pressure induced. The same time c

The same goes for the advance. One might not even need to process a film for this but mark the frames from within the image aperture. The same time checking what the frame counter indicates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With respect to the Mamiya RB67/RZ67, Mamiya used to say that regular use of 120 film in a 220 insert would cause increased wear on the insert.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would increased wear on the insert not indicate increased stress on the film too?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I was talking about a film insert.
    I use a IIIn back, I thought about pressure plate, as 220 and 120 films doesn't have the same thickness (tell me if I am wrong...)
    So the best way seems to try, and look a the film after process.
    Any Gx 680 owner advice ?
    Thank you !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never used 120 film with a 220 back/insert on my GX680 setup, but you've made an EXCELLENT choice in choosing the GX680III

love mine to bits, it's just pure enjoyment when I get out and shoot with it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Would increased wear on the insert not indicate increased stress on the film too?
    Yes, but the wear on the insert may be more important than the stress on the 120 film if the OP also shoots 220 C41 and requires the insert for that purpose.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The GX680III mag knows which insert is inside and loads and winds on accordingly (120 or 220). Lead in and spacing may be off and when you shoot off your 9 frames; you will probably have to shoot a few more blanks to fool it into winding on to the end.

Test it before shooting anything important.

Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin