Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,278   Online: 1132

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya Super 23, holding.

Just acquired a Super 23 (woooo). I got it with a handgrip but I find the handgrip really awkward to use. I find it considerably more natural to hold it like a gigantic 35mm rangefinder, right hand around the right side of the film holder, and left hand cradling the lens to focus and (after a bit of trial and error) hit the shutter lever. My question is, do other people do this ? Are the film backs actually robust enough to stand up to this without flexing ? I know there's the model 3 back that's actually designed explicitly for this, with a shutter button and all, but I don't know if they reinforced the model 3 for this or not. They're neat cameras I have to say, though the complete lack of any interlocks that I'm used to, on my bronica bodies for example, makes for slow, thoughtful, picture taking :-D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Learn to use the hand grip... it'll make life easier in the long run, I think. Film backs are pretty robust, but why flex them when yoiu don't need to. I've been using one for years and the hand grip works fine.
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't. I agree it seems a bit backwards, but I'm not sure all that weight being supported by the back, would be a good thing.

Be interesting to know for sure. Now you have me wondering about it too...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hold mine as whlogan says. The grip works great, it's just that it's the opposite of your 35mm SLR. Just practice a little and it will become natural. And, don't forget to pull the dark slide when it's time to take a photo. I've never had much success developing my dark slide.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    even if it adds some weight the grip makes handling the camera sure and easy IMHO.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Learn to use the grip it was intended to be used for. Yes, it is unusual and not natural especially if you are used to modern cameras. That is not what a Super 23 is.

These babies were used by reporters, if yours is in descent shape I would expect it to handle just about anything you could give it. I promise the reporter that used it before you handled it in ways that would make you sick.

Enjoy it. Some of the nicest photos I have had the honor of viewing have been taken with a Super 23 in the hands of a master.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin